Can my cooking improve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzan

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone.:)
I have just had people for dinner tonight, and the meal and dessert were a failure. I am trying to get used to my new Bosch ovens.
My steak was dry, and my dessert was under done. It can be so embarrassing, especially as we have just moved into our new house, and it is time to have our friends come for dinner to see where we are living now. So I have joined with you all hoping the next time I have more friends over for dinner I can get it right with some of your recipes.

Welcome to this cooking forum! :chef: A new house and new oven are big enough projects in themselves! :)

Knowing what you did wrong is part of the lesson, i.e. what not to do next time! ;)

I always say that part of what constitutes a good cook is knowing how to make it even better next time (in an improvised dish)...although I do have countless tried and tested perfect recipes (not my own creations).

Perhaps when you next have something in mind, you could run it by this forum for possible pitfalls or say what goes wrong when you have done trial runs.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

Of course it can! Sounds like you just need more experience with your new-to-you appliances. You might want to get an oven thermometer to make sure the oven reaches the correct temperature.

Welcome, Suzan! :flowers: Stick around and jump right in!

I agree that you may just need to get used to your new range.

Hi. Yes, your cooking can improve.
Like the others have said it takes time to get used to new appliances.

Now second questions.
How long have you been cooking?
Had you made those two dishes before?

Little tip on dinner parties, never try a new main course or dessert unless you have a back up.

Welcome to DC. Sorry to hear of your failure. No doubt things will get better as you learn your new appliances.

I've got just one word for you .... THERMOMETER!:chef:

When you have a new oven that you're not used to it really helps to make sure it's temperature is correct. Use an oven thermometer to ensure that the heat inside the oven = the temperature its set at.

To ensure you don't overcook and dry out meat, use a a meat thermometer. It's a a kitchen necessity, IMO.

Welcome, and I'm sorry your cooking failures had an audience. Naturally, that's really embarrassing but most of us can recall that experience.

I shudder when remember a very important business dinner party I hosted many years ago. From that, I learned to never marinate shrimp in fresh pineapple juice. :wacko: The expensive shrimp turned to mush because of the enzymes.

For your particular problem, like the others........Thermometers are your friends.

Hello Suzan,
Welcome on the forum.

You've learnt by yourself: Do what you know well and how you know when you have to realize a meal for friends or guests.

For new recipes and gear , it needs some previous training to be at ease.Even professionals wouldn't take to many risks...

Understanding this point , you already improved your cooking...
For the next time , you'll be great.....

And , like in a show: start big and finish bigger. People pay more attention to the first and the last course. what is in the middle is less important...

Back
Top Bottom