Ceramic pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copperhead

Assistant Cook
Hello - I have just joined this forum.

I would like to introduce myself and thank moderator Katie for such a warm welcome.
I live in a small town a few miles from Kettering in Northamptonshire which is in England.
I have been trying to decide between a new stonewear pan or a ceramic one
and I chose the ceramic one because it was half the price. Anyway it arrived yesterday (Friday) and used it to cook our "Friday Fry-Up" hash browns.
The rest of the meal was done on a George Foreman grill and griddle as usual. The problem I have is this : how long do I need to cook the hash browns so that they are crispy and hot?
I look forward to reading any replies as I am sure some-one will know.
With all best wishes
Copperhead.
;)

I have been trying to decide between a new stonewear pan or a ceramic one
and I chose the ceramic one because it was half the price. Anyway it arrived yesterday (Friday) and used it to cook our "Friday Fry-Up" hash browns.
The rest of the meal was done on a George Foreman grill and griddle as usual. The problem I have is this : how long do I need to cook the hash browns so that they are crispy and hot?

;)

I did pottery/ceramics for a few years. I need to ask - are you using it directly on top of the stove?

Generally speaking, ceramic is not water proof nor high temp proof, eventually extended use in a hot oven will craze the glaze and it won't be waterproof anymore.

Stoneware, properly fired to the correct temperature, in itself will seal (becomes vitreous) and you don't even need a glaze. It is, however, a much rougher surface without and so tis often glazed where food or liquid will come in contact. simply makes for easier, aesthetically looking clean up.

That being said, I have been out of the business for many years. I recently purchased a clay Tagine that said you could put it on an open flame. I use a gas stove and although I have been reassured it will do well, I have not had the nerve to put it on an open flame. My early basic training gone too deep. I have used it in my oven and on the BBQ with indirect heat with great success.

Back to your question.... are you using cooked potatoes for your hash browns? is it in the oven or stovetop? are you preheating the dish?

In all probability you will need to experiment with your own stove and style of cooking. I would cut back on your regular style of cooking hash browns (I presume) in your cast iron skillet and slowly bring it up to a reasonable length of time for cooking and results.

Hoping that this is of some help. Please keep us up to date on how you are making out! We all need to learn!

Last edited:
Hash browns you pretty much just cook until they're golden brown and delicious. There's not determinable amount of time because a lot of factors go into play from how much potato to the surface area of the pan you're using, to the size of the potatoes whether they're cut, diced, chopped, grated, etc., and so on.
For me I go with a cheese grater on some par-cooked potatoes and finish them in the pan with some oil, salt, and pepper until they're golden brown, doing my best to treat it like a pancake and make a big crust on it.
Pretty much the way I make hash but with other things sauteed in the pan before the potatoes go in, sometimes I fine dice the potatoes for presentation sake.

Last edited:
The secret to getting crispy hash brown is "Leave Them Alone!" Don't play with them. Let them sauté on a med low heat for five to ten minutes before tossing over for the other side to crisp up. Repeat. :angel:

Thanks to all who responded, I have a page of notes and just wait until Friday for the
perfect McCains Hash Browns!!!!!!
Copperhead

If you are meaning a traditional fry pan with ceramic coating rather than teflon, etc. I have one and the only difference I have when cooking anything in it is I use much less oil/fat. I love it for french toast, grilled cheese, etc.

I read in your other post that you had success with the hash browns and agree, just put them in the pan (frozen) and don't move them too much - flip once if possible.

Back
Top Bottom