Checking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240brickman

Senior Cook
Hi gang

Sorry I haven't been around for quite a while; today I got my DC July Newsletter in da e-mail, and I was reminded that I oughta pop in and say 'hola".

Last month, I was diagnosed with a defective pulmonary valve in my heart. They're going to do a valve-replacement, and I've spent several weeks reading, watching filmstrips (haven't done that since eighth grade!), and emailing back-and-forth with folks who've had the procedure done. I'm scheduled for surgery in August, and in the meantime I've quit smoking (not a bad idea, eh?), and they have me taking Dicumarol (sp?), which apparently is a blood thinner. I'm not alllowed to take aspirin, which isn't really something I miss. Not allowed more than 1 glass of beer/wine in any given day, either...and let me tell you, THAT sux. I also go for a 2-mile walk every day, to a nearby park & back again (I've been doing that in the evening, lately...WAY too hot to be outside during the day).

Now, I just have to concentrate on actually paying for the procedure. :-p
I haven't had med. insurance since I bought into my restaurant...I'm told there's a word for this, and it rhymes with "cupid". Naturally, my parents have offered to help me as much as possible, up to & including a second mortgage on their house, but I've told them not to worry about it. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's last-minute solutions!

BTW, I'm actually feeling a bit better than I have in several months, which I think is due (mostly) to the quitting smoking. Probably the drugs have something to do with it, too. And yes, I have been cooking, although less than usual. More grilling than anything else...I've been eating more fish and veggies than I used to. Fortunately, I haven't had to acquire a taste for any of it (never been a picky eater AT ALL). And I do sneak in the occasional 1/3-pound burger.

I'll try to visit DC more...I miss this place! I'll keep y'all posted.

--J

You sure have a lot going on.

You have my good wishes for a speedy recovery! Walking and not smoking will go a long way towards making that happen. I know quitting smoking is not easy to do.

Hang in there and keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom