Cheesemaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been making cheese at home since childhood. Currently, I make homemade mozzarella at least once a week and use regular whole milk right off the shelf from the market, store, etc. There is no need for "specialized" milk. We have also used the goat's milk.

Making cheddar at home is a bit much, needing more and different equipment, curing area, etc.

The best water to use is spring water or distilled. The Dasani you used does have the added minerals and is not a good choice, as you found out!

The key to making cheese, however, is to keep at it, just like everything else in cooking and baking! Practice, practice, practice, as practice makes perfect! Don't give up so easily because when you do get this down pat, you'll never want to go back to store bought!

Also, make sure you have all the proper equipment, including a thermometer. Achieving the proper temperature is so critical, just like using yeast. If the liquid is too hot or too cold, the yeast will be damaged. Same holds true in cheese making with the rennet, mesophilic starter, etc. And it IS fun to make!!!

I'm interested in making cheese, mozzarella specifically, but I don't have any recipes. Does anyone want to share some TNT recipes, or maybe a link or two that they found useful, I did a bit of googling and came up with several results, the most promising being CHEESEFORUM.ORG Cheese Making Recipes plus Info & Pictures On 1000+ Cheeses! Thanks for any info you can share.

-Josh :pig:hart

well dang,

this web site USED to have extensive directions for making mozzarella cheese
Making Cheese
but I could not find it now.

Read all you can on making mozzarella cheese, try to find at least 10 different ways to make it and study the nuances. It's a lot of fun, but can be frustrating too..Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom