Ciao from Italy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HRH Fi this is one of my favorite old haunts for romance and because I used it for business trips I got great rates and it was tax deductableVilla Palma Hotel Ristorante

we have been right around the corner this spring, spent a few days in Bassano.. and in Oktober we'll be near Trento...

well.. Venice.. what would you say, if I say that city is completely overrated... :angel:

we have been right around the corner this spring, spent a few days in Bassano.. and in Oktober we'll be near Trento...

well.. Venice.. what would you say, if I say that city is completely overrated... :angel:

I don't know if it's overrated, but I believe it's overwhelmed... They cannot put gates at the entrances!
Currently I'm trying to find beautiful, not so famous, places in Italy and my Heimatland has many of them.
So I'm hurrying to see them before we manage to destroy them all :LOL:

Luca and Cara, so my post does not seem to butcher Venice I will refer to a similar city Dubrovnik and our home town of Hvar, in peak season like Luca says it also is overwhelmed by tourists, the locals and the staff in the hotels restaurants ect are all stressed out by this influx as is the plumbing, like Venice 90% of the restaurant food is over priced crap, they get filled with tourists with deep pockets who are happy with good views and plenty of booze.
Hvar is always in the top 10 of the most beautiful islands in the world, the harbor always has massive cruisers owned by Russian Oligarchs like Roman Abramovich minor Royalty and the Nouveau Riche who rave over the "fresh fish" in the harbor side restaurants, my wifes family are fishermen who work in the restaurants and hotels in the summer as the fishing is poor then and they earn more from the tourists so 90% of the fish is either frozen or imported from greek fish farms.
All three places are wonderful out of season although Venice is can be very damp.

... Hvar is always in the top 10 of the most beautiful islands in the world, the harbor always has massive cruisers owned by Russian Oligarchs like Roman Abramovich minor Royalty and the Nouveau Riche who rave over the "fresh fish" in the harbor side restaurants, my wifes family are fishermen who work in the restaurants and hotels in the summer as the fishing is poor then and they earn more from the tourists so 90% of the fish is either frozen or imported from greek fish farms...

YES! But money rules...
I remember my father told me that he spent a summer with his brother in a fisherman house in some island in Dalmacija. I'm talking about 1950, they helped the fisherman in his daily fatigue and had a lot of fun. I'll ask my mother if she recalls the name of that island.
Thanks Bolas for bringing to me these memories.

That would interest me, I hope your Dad is alive and well so you can ask him if he ate Croatian Brodetto, my youngest nephew dives for pulpo in the winter and freezes them for the summer trade, a few Italian restaurants send a van over to buy them and the families organic olive oil pressed the traditional way..
The coastal waters of Croatia are the cleanest in the med and the fishing is still good, every year a few Italian trawlers are arrested for illegal fishing:)
The Sardinian shepherd took their love of tourists and their money to new levels but thats another story..

That would interest me, I hope your Dad is alive and well so you can ask him if he ate Croatian Brodetto, my youngest nephew dives for pulpo in the winter and freezes them for the summer trade, a few Italian restaurants send a van over to buy them and the families organic olive oil pressed the traditional way..
The coastal waters of Croatia are the cleanest in the med and the fishing is still good, every year a few Italian trawlers are arrested for illegal fishing:)
The Sardinian shepherd took their love of tourists and their money to new levels but thats another story..

No, Doc (as we called him) is gone in 1999, hope my mother or his sister remember something of that holiday.
I was just talking with my aunt yesterday about Croatia, she went there when my uncle was in the army, 30 years ago, and she wondered if the places are still so beautiful, or have been destroyed by toursim industry.

Good question Luca, after the war most of the coastal hotel were very run down, but thankfully the Government stated there should be no new developments until all the original hotels are brought up to scratch with special inference on pollution control
Inland tourism is much the same, Plitvitce National Park is a good example only electric boats are allowed on the lakes and if you are seen littering by one of the many rangers you are in big big trouble. Tourists are expected to report any anti-social behavior.
The area around Drnis where my Father in law has a house, the home of the best Prsut was a great tourist area but there are still areas full of land mines and un exploded shells ect, although its about 5 yrs since I have heard a bang and seen a sheep or pig flying.

Good question Luca, after the war most of the coastal hotel were very run down, but thankfully the Government stated there should be no new developments until all the original hotels are brought up to scratch with special inference on pollution control
Inland tourism is much the same, Plitvitce National Park is a good example only electric boats are allowed on the lakes and if you are seen littering by one of the many rangers you are in big big trouble. Tourists are expected to report any anti-social behavior.
The area around Drnis where my Father in law has a house, the home of the best Prsut was a great tourist area but there are still areas full of land mines and un exploded shells ect, although its about 5 yrs since I have heard a bang and seen a sheep or pig flying.

:ohmy::( Those poor sheep and pig. There's got to be a more humane way to find the mines. Oh, would they maybe like to borrow our "reality TV stars"? Whoa, whoa, kidding. Put the pitch forks away, I'm not really that mean. I'd never inflict those "celebrities" on poor, unsuspecting foreign countries. :)

There are a few pics of Hvar in this link, the seahouse is where we go when its high season to get away from the tourists and heat, there is no mains water or electric and we only put a track down to it for cars 2yrs ago when the donkey died. clic on view as a slideshow. http://photobucket.com/bolashvar

Last edited:
There are a few pics of Hvar in this link, the seahouse is where we go when its high season to get away from the tourists and heat, there is no mains water or electric and we only put a track down to it for cars 2yrs ago when the donkey died. clic on view as a slideshow. http://photobucket.com/bolashvar

Beautiful photos, wonderful place. Now I wait for the recipes of the filled peppers...
I guess you have to reach Split by ship or plane, then get some motorboat for Hvar.

I drive to Split from the UK then get the slow car ferry to Hvar, there is a regular car ferry from Ancona to Hvar, when I was talking to my elder brother we would visit his holiday house in Tuscany.
The meat mixture for Peppers and Sarma are the same, equal parts of beef, pork and veal with some rice. In the UK I add a bit of riccotta and cube mozzarella to the pepper mix only..
The cabbage for the Sarma, place whole round white cabbage in a plastic drum, salt each layer, add some dried corn cobbs for colour, put a wooden board on top with some clean bricks, seal the drum and place outside in November for the cold and frost to work its magic, they should be ready in January, when you just rinse and use.

Back
Top Bottom