"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Cooking preparation & procedure

Hi!
I'm simon baker. I'm in the restaurant business & have been since 1980. I enjoy chating about food in general. Procedures & preperations for soups, sauces & entrees. I love getting new ideas. I like to keep things seasonal & fresh.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Hi!
I'm simon baker. I'm in the restaurant business & have been since 1980. I enjoy chatting about food in general. Procedures & preperations for soups, sauces & entrees. I love getting new ideas. I like to keep things seasonal & fresh.
We do to, so please share some of your tricks, tips, AND recipes. Welcome to DC. This is the greatest site. It's very easy to use, and the people here are awesome.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

a simple dipping sauce or marinade

16 oz. of orange marmalade to a heaping tblsp. of prepared horseradish. Great to roast on pork loin, marinate chicken or a dipping sauce for coconut shrimp. I'd love to hear some ideas from you.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
16 oz. of orange marmalade to a heaping tblsp. of prepared horseradish. Great to roast on pork loin, marinate chicken or a dipping sauce for coconut shrimp. I'd love to hear some ideas from you.
Thanks, it sounds good. I don't usually care for marmalade and I DO have some apricot preserves I'd like to use up. I never thought to add horseradish to it. Sounds yummy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks, it sounds good. I don't usually care for marmalade and I DO have some apricot preserves I'd like to use up. I never thought to add horseradish to it. Sounds yummy.
A jar of apricot preserves, mixed with either sweet/spicy French Dressing or Catalina Dressing spread across a roasting dish full of chicken legs and/or thighs, then baked loosely covered for about 40 minutes then uncovered for an additional 10 minutes (to caramelize the preserves) at 350F makes a tasty entree, particularly if served on a bed of rice. This is something I fix for visitors about four times a years and is always a winner.

Edit: Only add the dressing to taste - it doesn't take too much - a couple of tablespoons.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Cook

I'm probably the least experienced cook in here so please don't laugh. As a last minute marinade for grilling Italian sausage (is there any other kind?), I'll use Italian salad dressing (is there any other kind?) with some mashed mango and brush the sausage while they're grilling. It gives a sweet & sour tint to the meat. Remember....no laughing.

Tags
cooking