"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Copper cookware question

Bought a new copper pot and paid more than I ever have for cookware, $150 at Tuesday Morning, a discount store like TJ Max. Love the pot but am afraid of the retining. I live near Milwaukee, Wisconsin and would like to know where to have any retining done and how much does it cost? Also, I put it in the dishwasher and the tining looks weird now. Helppppppppppppp My pot is a Fabrication Francais. That's what is imprinted near the iron handle and it is a dutch oven size. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I think the chemicals in the DW soap discolored your pot. You'll have to clean it by hand in the future.

I'd check the Yellow Pages or google for re-tinninng shops in your area.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
If it's new, it shouldn't need retinning.

and FWIW, never put ANY good cookware into the dishwasher! especially copper.

and welcome to DC!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Born in Rosiere,
Hello there and welcome to DC. You bought a Baumalu pot, made in Alsace, France near the border with Germany.
As Andy recommended, you should handwash this piece, I own several ones (three sizes like the one you describe) and clean them by hand right after using.
It is possible the detergent affected the color of the tinning, if you want to bring it back (tin it will darken with use) clean the inside by hand with a paste made with a small amount of lemon juice plus baking soda.
You can clean the outside with a similar paste, but is easier with a mix of table salt and lemon juice/white vinegar.

Have you removed the varnish from the cooper before using it?
This is done with a small piece of cotton soaked with acetone and a soap and warm water rinse afterwards. Perhaps the varnish affected the tin color.

Retinning costs approx. $5 per inch plus shipping. To define the size of your pot, you measure the diameter plus two times the height. This is what shops normally use to define their cost.

I couldn't find a shop near where you live, I'd check with your local Williams-Sonoma store. They normally have a listing of these type of craftsmem.

There are places in Colorado and New Jersey, here are the links:
Retinning and Polishing Copper Cookware for more than fifty years
Cookware Retinning and Metal Refinishing
Copper Cookware Retinning
Old 03-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC!!