Crock pot Woes!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. Longer time and cook on low setting. Something about the fibers in the meat breaking down. First they toughen up, then they break down. But when they do you'll get a very tender roast.

It is the collagen in the meat converting to gelatin that makes it pull-apart tender, from my understanding. That can be unpredictable. I've had it done at 195, and not done at 210.

The probe test is pretty good. A thermometer probe should slide into the meat almost like butter -- very little resistance.

CD

The salsa is not a pico de gallo. It's a legitimate salsa made from scratch with tomatoes, peppers, onion, etc. And it's put in a blender to liquify like u see in restaurants for chips n salsa.

I find chuck roast a bit dry so don't make it often but when I do I add some speck cubes to my cooking liquid and cook it on low overnight. Basically just pork belly fat. Lardons should work well too.
How long do you cook it? Since it has a lot of fat and connective tissue, I have never found chuck roast to be dry unless it's been overcooked.

How long do you cook it? Since it has a lot of fat and connective tissue, I have never found chuck roast to be dry unless it's been overcooked.

It is always fall apart tender when done but I find the added fat helps that. I just meant it's not my go to choice for slow cooking. I prefer lamb and pork for slow cooking and a lean beef roast prepared medium rare. Beef cuts for slow cooking is better with fatty cuts like oxtail or beef short rib.

I am having serious problems with the chuck pot roast which is supposed to just fall apart in the crock pot. I make my own salsa, so 1st, I sear both sides of the roast for about 2 minutes,when I put the roast in the crockpot with seasonings and the salsa, I put it on low. After about 4 hours, I flip it over. Add more salsa, I like it hot. 4 hours later I pull it out, and end up cutting the meat with a knife. What am I doing wrong??
I don't care about modern fads in cookery. A lump of meat that falls apart in the crockpot (or anywhere else) is OVER-COOKED!!!

Do NOT get me started on "pulled pork"!!!!

Last edited:
I don't care about modern fads in cookery. A lump of meat that falls apart in the crockpot (or anywhere else) is OVER-COOKED!!!

Do NOT get me started on "pulled pork"!!!!

How about pulled smoked chuck roast? Oh, so very yummy!! :yum: :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 0611172014a_HDR.jpg
    0611172014a_HDR.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom