Crock pot Woes!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johng1554

Assistant Cook
I am having serious problems with the chuck pot roast which is supposed to just fall apart in the crock pot. I make my own salsa, so 1st, I sear both sides of the roast for about 2 minutes,when I put the roast in the crockpot with seasonings and the salsa, I put it on low. After about 4 hours, I flip it over. Add more salsa, I like it hot. 4 hours later I pull it out, and end up cutting the meat with a knife. What am I doing wrong??

Johng1554, first let me Welcome you to DC.

2nd, sorry to say I can't help you. I'm not a crock-pot expert. I'm sure someone will be able to give you suggestions of how to correct.

I would have thought 8 hours would have been more than enough, but just how big was the roast?

Did you add extra salsa just because you like it spicy or because there was also not enough liquid? That would have been surprising as the slow cooking usually requires less liquid than if you were to braise it stove top.

The only other thing I can think of is :LOL: don't keep lifting the lid to check on it! :LOL: that's my problem!

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Most slow cooker recipes say to cook for something like 8-10 hours. Sometimes 8 just isn't enough for a larger or tougher piece of meat. I would give it more time.

Welcome to DC! I cooked a small chuck roast in the CP in giardinere last week, and it easily shredded. I agree, a bit more time might help, and don't play with it too much. Also, I'm thinking it might help to cut the big roast into smaller pieces before you put it in the CP. Since there's just two of us, I usually slow cook a smaller chunk.

Yep. Longer time and cook on low setting. Something about the fibers in the meat breaking down. First they toughen up, then they break down. But when they do you'll get a very tender roast.

Agree with the longer cooking time in the slow cooker. I've slow cooked roasts, both beef and pork shoulder, that I thought would never get pull apart fork tender, but they will. Just give it a little more time.

Seems like the longer I cook it, the dryer it's getting. (at least the last two I've done) Do you think searing it on a pan for a couple minutes each side is the problem?

When I do chuck roast in the CP, I don't bother searing it. Also, every time you lift the lid to peek, it loses moisture. You really don't need to turn it.

I'm going to ask how "dry" is your salsa. The meat alone will supply moisture but there is a limit as to how much. Have to agree with the others just longer. Perhaps start off with 1/2 cup beef stock along with your salsa.

I also concur with not having to sear the meat before. It will be served with the salsa/gravy which will give it plenty of colour. Plus there is no necessity to try and 'lock' in the moisture, the cooker, with unopened lid will do that part of the job.

Are you cooking a big slab of roast or stew sized pieces?

Cooking meat for long periods in the slow cooker tends to dry it out, even as it sits in liquid. A pressure cooker is a better option, although the slow cooker has its convenience appeal. I've made beef stew in a slow cooker, on the stovetop, and in a pressure cooker. The pressure cooker version is the best.

I personally don't sear my chuck roast when I cook it - I put my carrots and onions in first, then put the meat on top of he carrots and onions. Next, I cup my potatoes and put them in and season everything (salt, pepper, garlic powder). I then put in 2 qt. packages of beef broth and then use water to fill crock pot. It cooks overnight (at least 12 hours) and when I am ready for the meal, I take meat and other solid contents out and leave approx. 3 cups of broth in pot, mix in 2 cans golden mushroom soup and 1 can cream of mushroom soup until mixed, then put solids back in and add extra broth as needed to cover contents. Keep on low until I am ready to eat. I have never done anything with salsa but I want to try it sometime.

Great recipe! Thank you, I'll try that sometime! The chuck roast with the salsa is great for tacos or on top of nachos.Maybe I'll cut out the searing part next time. I left the roast in for 8 hours and it seemed pretty dry. It was covered with liquid tho.Thanx for the tip!!

Great recipe! Thank you, I'll try that sometime! The chuck roast with the salsa is great for tacos or on top of nachos.Maybe I'll cut out the searing part next time. I left the roast in for 8 hours and it seemed pretty dry. It was covered with liquid tho.Thanx for the tip!!

No problem, John. Hope you like it as much as my mom and I do.

I find chuck roast a bit dry so don't make it often but when I do I add some speck cubes to my cooking liquid and cook it on low overnight. Basically just pork belly fat. Lardons should work well too.

Back
Top Bottom