Desire to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilyas

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm Lilyas from Holland. A while ago I met someone who had a passion for cooking and teached me how to love food and look at it as a combination of art and love for the ones you cook. Unfortunatly that person's not in my life anymore, but the passion to learn to cook and share that with my loved ones sort of stayed. So, here I am, trying to share my cooking experiences with others and learn in the proces.

Welcome to the forum Lilyas, this is a great place for what you are looking for, I am sure you will not be dissapointed!

Welcome, you found a right place. I'm sure many of us have passion for cooking here.

And do share; tell us something that you make that is very special or specific for Holland.

Hi, lilyas. Welcome to DC. You will find lots of helpers here when it comes to food and cooking. You'll also discover this is quite a wonderful Internet "family." Glad you've found us. And I second CharlieD's comment about you sharing some special dishes from your country.

Hai:)

sattie said:
Welcome to the forum Lilyas, this is a great place for what you are looking for, I am sure you will not be dissapointed!
Thankyou, and by that I thank all, for welcoming me:)
I have to admit, unfortunatly Holland does not have a special food. Eversince we've introduced the potato here, from the time of the colonization, we have sort of hanged on to it, added vegetables and meat etc and that was that:)

But I promise after my exam period is over, I'm in the middle of it now:(, I will pay attention and write a thing or two about our food tradition here....

A thing I liked the most though was a recent event with the couscous: they had added nuts and dades to it. I liked that a lot....

I need to make one myself and am going to do so pretty soon.... :chef:

You are from texas I saw. Is there a traditional food sort there? I wonder...

When I visited Amsterdam I had the most wonderful "waffles" I have ever tasted. They were sugary and maybe fried? Any ideas on the recipe?

Hai

Thank you for welcoming me. It's been a while and I had exams but now hopefully I can concentrate on fun things in life like cooking.

What I wondered, since I've never been to massachussets, what
are the food specialties there? Is there something as an American traditional food making? Tell me about these things when you have the time...

Thanks and till soon,

Lilyas

PS. I saw a remark of Sagan there:) Is that just a remark you like, or astronomy and popular sience in general?

Hi Lilyas! If you came to Boston, Massachusetts and wanted very "traditional" food, you would probably end up with lobster and clam chowder. New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine) has a very proud history with the sea. I would say summertime grilling is a New England tradition too, but I think that's a lot of the country. Boston is known as "Beantown" because of Boston Baked Beans, but that doesn't really reflect what people actually eat anymore!

Boston baked beans

Candy coated peanuts, right?:) Interresting....I sort of have to look at the map for America to see the places you named, for myself.
Do tell me though, what is your interrest in cooking? I've sort of explaned the source of mine before...I'm curious

In the meantime I had exams on trauma, nefrology etc etc...But am free of it all at last so I have to commit myself to cooking now:)

Thankyou for your complete answer,

Lilyas

Boston baked beans

candy coated peanuts, right?:) Interresting...
In the meantime I need to look at the places you mensioned on the map of America, I am not well with places....

I wonder, what is your interrest in cooking? I sort of explaned the source of mine. Well, now I can pay more time to it. I had previous exams, nefrology, trauma, etc., but now all is done and once more I can give attention to fun stuff:)

Well, thanks for the complete info,

Till later,

Lilyas

wannabgourmet said:
Hi Lilyas! If you came to Boston, Massachusetts and wanted very "traditional" food, you would probably end up with lobster and clam chowder. New England (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine) has a very proud history with the sea. I would say summertime grilling is a New England tradition too, but I think that's a lot of the country. Boston is known as "Beantown" because of Boston Baked Beans, but that doesn't really reflect what people actually eat anymore!

waffel recipe

Hey:) I found this on the net and I hope it's satisfactory. It's funny though, I do not buy waffels that often but a lot of Americans coming to A'dam love it:)
I wonder what you more than anything enjoy cooking?

Recipe:
Fresh Fruit Stroopwafel TartsStroopwafels go by different names here (called honey wafers sometimes), and have different fillings ranging from caramel to honey or hazelnut. Look for them at natural food stores for starters.
apples, pears, plum (or whatever seasonal fruit you'd like)
a small tub of mascarpone cheese
vanilla extract
sugar
honey (or agave nectar)
stroopwafel cookies
Place the stroopwafels under a broiler or in a toaster oven just until their fillings heat up.
Sweeten the mascarpone with a bit of sugar (or other sweetener of your choice). Stir in a small splash of vanilla (you could also explore different liquors at this step). Spread a layer of the mascarpone across each stroopwafel.
Slice half of the fruit into thin pretty pieces and arrange on top of each tart (see photo). Cut the rest of the fruit into smaller pieces and toss in a small bowl with a bit of honey. Arrange this on top of the slices. Drizzle with a bit more honey and enjoy.
krichardson said:
When I visited Amsterdam I had the most wonderful "waffles" I have ever tasted. They were sugary and maybe fried? Any ideas on the recipe?

Back
Top Bottom