Eastern Iowa food lover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cook w/ a conscious

Assistant Cook
Hi. I'm a cook from Iowa City, IA who's interested in everything connected with food, from the farmer to food politics to the simple meals of my kitchen. I've tried to find cooking clubs in my area but haven't been successful. If anyone could give me advice about getting into contact with people in my area who are interested in food I'd appreciate it. I'm excited to get started in this online community.

Welcome.

My advice is to start asking on a local level. Call upscale kitchen stores to see if they know of any dinner clubs. Ask people who shop at these types of stores.

Welcome to DC! Good luck on your quest! Iowa City - is the University there or no. Thinking that might be a good place to find like minded folks.

Welcome! I'm in Cedar Rapids, just up the interstate from you! I haven't heard of any type of clubs around here. Check with Kirkwood!!

Hi from Council Bluffs. I know over in Omaha there is a Whole Foods Market that has cooking expos. Lots of fun. Quite a drive, but could be fun for a weekend.

Hello and welcome to DC! There are tons of people on here from Iowa already, start connecting with them and go from there!

Check out New Pioneer Co-op and see if they have any info for you. I love that place.

Hi. I'm a cook from Iowa City, IA who's interested in everything connected with food, from the farmer to food politics to the simple meals of my kitchen. I've tried to find cooking clubs in my area but haven't been successful. If anyone could give me advice about getting into contact with people in my area who are interested in food I'd appreciate it. I'm excited to get started in this online community.

Welcome! Eastern or Western Iowa, doesn't matter to me as long as I get my Iowa 'Corn Fed' Beef and Pork :-p

Welcome! I'm in Cedar Rapids, just up the interstate from you! I haven't heard of any type of clubs around here. Check with Kirkwood!!

I forgot that you were from CR.

I grew up there! :)

WELCOME TO DC, COOK

I would imagine that both CR and IC would be home to some serious foodies, but I haven't lived there in a long time. When I lived there there was not much foodie chatter.

Iowa Dutch Oven Cooking Society

Hello and welcome - I'm in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and wanted to let you know that there is a Dutch Oven Cooking Society in the area. We are the Prairie Rose Cookers and we cover all of eastern and central, Iowa.
Dutch Oven cooking is a style of outdoor cooking using cast iron pots with charcoals or wood coals. Anything can be cooked in them from pastries to soups to savory meats to desserts/breads to even icecream.
Our group gathers several times a year for cook offs and DOGs. What is a DOG? It is a Dutch Oven Gathering. We gather together in a park and cook all day. At a designated serving time everything is placed on a serving table (several) and served potluck style.
We are chartered by the International Dutch Oven Society and welcome everyone to cook with us.
You are welcome to check out our Yahoo group site - Iowa Dutch Oven Cooking. There are lots of photos, info, recipes, and a database of all sorts of things.
Our next event will be our Spring DOG in Ladora, Iowa (off I-80 near the Williamsburg Outlet Mall) at Lake Iowa on April 19, 2008. We invite you to attend and check us out.
Please contact me if you have any questions, Georgia Carr, Chapter Director (Link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom