Easy Crock Pot Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asm123

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone

I'm new to the forum and am kinda done with the whole microwavable burrito/take out diet I've been on recently.

To change things up and save some money I've started using my old crock pot but have run into some snags finding recipes that work for me and really have only found 2 that work. Specifically I'm looking for as little effort and work on my part as possible to get the most complete meal possible.

For example, shredded chicken tacos. The recipe involves placing several breasts in the crock pot, sprinkle on some store bought taco seasoning and finally some store bought salsa, pace is always good. Let it slow cook till the chicken can be shredded then place in store bought taco shells and garnish with store bought shredded lettuce and cheese. The perfect lazy man's shredded chicken tacos. The only dishes to worry about are the forks for shredding and the crock pot itself if using paper plates and prep work is virtually non-existent.

Sadly this and a Kalua pork recipe are all I have found on Google with this little work involved. Everything else involves browning things or mixing different spices or some long list of ingredients that will go bad if I dont make the meal in a week.

So long story short, if anyone has any crock pot recipes that are similarly lazy but turn out great please share. Myself, my stomach and my wallet would appreciate it.

Aloha and welcome Asm123 to DC!
So glad you've joined Discuss Cooking and are starting
to cook "real" food :LOL:

You may want to post questions in the forum that would best
suited to your inquiry. Things do get lost sometimes, ya know what I mean? ;)

For instance, for Crock Pot recipes, advice, etc... try looking under the
"Soups, Stews, Casseroles", sub-category "Slow Cookers" ...
here's a link:
Slow Cookers - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

The members here are all wonderful, helpful, informative and alot of fun too!

I hope you enjoy yourself here and visit often.

You would be amazed how quick and easy it is to cook from scratch, once you know how. Look up the term "mise en place." Watch some YouTube videos on that topic. That concept and a crock pot can move you away from most of the store-bought, pre-made stuff that isn't good for you, and move you gracefully into real cooking.

If you take small steps, but keep stepping forward, before you know it, you will be cooking meals you never thought you could cook, eating healthier, and impressing your friends with food you made.

CD

If you google "slow cooker dump meals" you will find links to quite a few recipes that meet your requirements. I'm sure that almost all of them will be better than microwave burritos (gack!).

You will have to decide how much effort you are willing to expend to improve your meals. For example, browning meat isn't an absolute necessity, but it does enhance the flavor and appearance. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Keep in mind that recipes are guidelines, and in most cases don't need to be followed exactly. If you don't have the small quantity of a particular spice then omit it. You might lose a little flavor but it will still be edible.

I'm guessing that you are usually cooking for one. Many slow cooker meals freeze and reheat well. Consider making a larger batch and getting multiple meals out of your efforts.

My daughter, a working mom with a toddler and an infant, relies on her slow cooker, Instant Pot, and rice cooker for most dinners. She has grown to really appreciate the Instant Pot, as she can put dinner on the table in a short period of time.

My novice slow cooker intro when I was a kid was chilli. We weren’t allowed to use the chopping knives or the stove without supervision. But being resourceful and stubborn and a bit of a smart Alec I found the loop hole.
Slow cooker and can opener.
A lb of stewing beef (mostly cause I like chunky beef and everyone else prefers hamburger so ha)
A can of tomatoes (I like the spiced and herbed one but whatever mom had)
A can of mushrooms (drained)
Can of beans (often brown beans cause I liked them)
Can of spaghetti sauce (adds flavour)
If we had chopped onion then sure

Add pasta for goulash (what grandma called it)
Dad preferred rice
I liked potatoes
But these 3 were after thoughts.

I still drive mom nuts sometimes if I go back home and she’s not there I’ll grab a soup bone or stew meat outta the freezer and be mucking away in the kitchen for hours instead of a 30 minute meal with hamburger that night. But hey if you have to give mom a hard time it may as well taste good

you can slow cooking chicken breast.
Flour the chicken breast.
then pour oil and garilc in a stick pan.
you have to broad garlik, than add a few water and juice of lemon.
Finnaly pour into the pan the flour chicken breast covering with a lid.
Enjoy your meal!

I make refried beans and potato cheese bacon soup in my crock pot. I also like putting roasts, like a pork roast and potatoes, in the crock pot as well. And I always put ribs in my crock pot - the meat just slides off the bone. You can also put a whole chicken in a crock pot and it will get so tender the bones will fall apart as you take it out (but it doesn't make a very good table presentation and forget about crispy skin). I am still tweaking a macaroni and cheese crock pot recipe and I have one I still haven't done yet involving chopped ranch potatoes and cheese.

Many recipe sites have sections on crock pot cooking. Some recipes work and some don't. You just have to try them and see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom