Electric stove problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helen214

Assistant Cook
I had to leave my beautiful Viking gas stove when moving because the place I wanted to live in a retirement community only has electric! This devastated me, but am trying to get used to electric after 50 years of gas!! I purchased a very good RADIANT heat ceramic top stove, and have to tell you, I HATE electric cooking. Hot spots, slow to heat, burns stuff, pans slide off if not totally flat bottom. I was told radiant heat was instant on and off, so no boiling over due to the fact they got cold quickly - not so. Does anyone have any suggestions for me - I love to cook and this has really got me upset. Would a more expensive one do the trick? Mine was mid line from Sears and supposed to be very good.

I was so upset, that I purchased a separate small 15,000BTW gas burner to use but you have to use it outdoors due to carbon monoxide danger, so that doesn't solve my problem.

Hi, Helen. Welcome to DC.

I'm a fan of gas as well. I can understand your sadness at leaving it behind.

When I cook on electric, it takes a little bit to get accustomed to the different heating and cooling characteristics. The electric stove will do the trick for you but it will take some practice to get used to it.

If a burner is too hot, try sliding the pan off the burner until it has a chance to cool a bit. You have to anticipate heat changes. Turn the heat up or down a little earlier than you want it.

I also had to give up my beautiful gas stove when we moved to my current house. No gas lines run in my neighborhood..

So bought a Jen-Air ceramic top. I absolutely hated it and still am not in love with it but as Andy said try sliding the an off the burner until the burner cools. It becomes somewhat second nature as you become more familiar with it.

In MHO, it will never replace my gas stove but I have adjusted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom