Falling middle of cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelrjge

Assistant Cook
I just made a carrot cake, followed the recipe, but both layers fell in the middle. Any ideas why?:ermm:

Welcome aboard!

It could be that your oven temp is off. This happens to cakes that are baked in a too hot oven.

Hello and welcome to DC. I agree with Andy M that maybe your stove temperature is off and the setting was too high. A too hot oven will do that to a cake.

Have a great day.

falling middle of cakes

:) Thank you Andy,
After wasting two batches of cake, I really did not know this. I will check my oven. After 45 years of cooking I guess I should have known this but it never happened to me before.
Thanks again,
Angelrjge

My oven temps just toy with me. I finally bought a thermometer/thermostat for the oven and work with that instead of the electronic dial on the display. :)

I was planning to put some flour in my storage in bulk quantities a couple of years ago. I could not find a recommended storage container. It seemed that from the old timey wooden flour barrel to the paper bag was it. Like most people, I do store my flour in an airtight tupperware canister in the kitchen and that seems to work okay. I did buy a bag of flour in the new plastic bag at the grocery and it is not fit to bake with. It is okay for other stuff just not for baking. I do a lot of baking in my microwave and that stuff made a disaster of my muffins. It does not seem to stay incorporated like the flour in the dry bags.

My old oven used to do this to me, so I think everyone is right, it's the temperature of your oven. I haven't had a problem since we replaced ours.

Back
Top Bottom