Frozen Ziti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momsully

Assistant Cook
I made ziti and froze it according to the directions I am supposed to thaw it out before baking. Can I bake it while frozen and if so for how long? I am hosting a graduation and I may not have room in the refrigerator to allow the ziti to thaw.

I'd be concerned the top and edges would dry out before the middle got hot. Could you borrow some space in a neighbor's fridge?

Have you ever cooked a frozen lasagna? Directions say to keep it frozen, then cook for an hour.

Let it thaw on the counter, iv'e done it plenty of times with ziti and I can promise you it will be fine...

I have frozen both lasagne and pastitsio and baked them from frozen with no detrimental effects. The length of time will depend upon the depth of your dish.

I always start out the process with a "lid" of heavy duty aluminum foil, shiny side in, and about half way through, when the ingredients in the pan are starting to get "squishy," I take the foil off so the top can brown.

I would cook it from frozen. As ChefJune says, foil on top then remove to brown the top. I'd double whatever time the original recipe says for fresh and check on it about halfway through to gauge how quickly it's cooking.

Back
Top Bottom