Gathering the best recipes of national dishes, can this forum help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soederman

Assistant Cook
Hi all,
I am creating an app and a web service with recipes of all the national dishes in the world.
I have through thourough research of the web now a list of all national dishes! :)
I have also gathered 5-10 recipes for each dish but now comes the work of choosing the best recipe for each dish or creating a better one than can be found on the web.

How would you suggest me to go about getting help from fellow forum members with this job?
Should I post one Thread per country/dish in the "Ethnic foods" sub forum perhaps? Or is "General Cooking" better?

I hope that I can add interesting information about national dishes and their recipes to all the forum users and at the same time I hope to get help from you in voting for the best recipe. Or even better, try cooking a dish, write a short review and take a picture of it. That would be really awesome!

Will add links to the threads when I start creating them.

Thanks for reading all the way down here!
/Kalle Söderman

From the U.S., it would be impossible to give you the best of, as so many great foods originated here, anything with maple, tomatoes, potatoes, summer and winter squashes, venison, all kinds of fresh and saltwater fish and seafood, raspberries, blueberries, all kinds of berries, corn.

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Smoked, Pulled Pork, with barbecued corn, and baked beans.
Ingredients:
Pulled pork:
4 lb. pork butt, bone in
Dried apple-wood chunks or sticks
salt

Baked beans:
2 cups navy beans
1 large onion
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
salt
3 tbs. tomato paste
6 strips of streaky bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces

Barbecued Corn:
2 ears of corn, with husk per person
butter

Col Slaw
1 head of cabbage, grated
1/2 cup Miracle Whip salad dressig
1/4 cup diced onion
4 carrots, grated
2 tbs. sugar
1/2 cup ice water.
1 tbs. chili powder

Place natural charcoal in two piles on either side of your barbecue grill. Light off the charcoal and let heat until light ash forms. Place a disposable bread pan between the charcoal piles and fill with t20 cups of water. Put sticks or lumps of wood on top of the charcoal. Place the cooking grate above the charcoal and drip pan. Lightly salt the pork butt on all sides, and place, fat side up, over the drip pan. Put the cover on your rig and set all vents to the half-closed position. Walk away for two hours, three if you have the time. Check the fire every half hour to make sure it's still lit, and add fuel and wood as needed. Remove the meat when a meat thermometer inserted to the center reads 190 degrees F.

While the meat is cooking, rinse the beans, then place into a large pot with enough water to cover with two inches extra on top. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for two hours.

Test the beans for tenderness. If they are tender, transfer to a heavy casserole dish, and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to distribute. Cover with a lid, or aluminum foil and bake for an hour.

Soak the corn in a bucket of water for an hour. 10 minutes before the meat is done, place the soaked corn on the grill and cover. Cook with the meat.

Combine all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Taste it. Does it need more sugar, or maybe a touch of vinegar? Would you like to add raisins to the mix? When you have it tasting the way you want it (this should be a very juicy and refreshing slaw), put it in the fridge until everything else is done. It's to be served as a side, or to put on those pulled pork sandwiches.

Make or purchase a tomato/brown sugar/smoke and chili powder dressing, a honey mustard dressing, and a vinegar-based dressing, all in separate bowls, to be served with the pulled pork.

You should get lots of wonderful recipes, like New England crab cakes, various steak and lobster preperations, sweet potato pie, etc. The U.S. has such a broad range of fabulous foods. You could have ten three hundred page cookbooks, each filled with recipes, and barely scratch the surface.

I hope you get lots for all over the world.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. Your app sounds quite ambitious! We have had a lot of ethnic recipes posted under the ethnic recipe tab.

Although I live in Canada, I grew up in northern MN. Walleye, wild rice casserole, and wild rice pancakes are the dishes the come to mind when I think of northern MN. For regional favorites, you might wish to consult Junior League cookbooks or church cookbooks. Canadian Living magazine featured regional specialties for Canada a year or so ago. Sugar pie and tourtiere are two of the specialties of Quebec. I have a "to-die-for" sugar pie recipe...

I think we've misunderstood the OP's idea :) I think he has already chosen all the dishes he wants to include, and 5-10 recipes for each dish he has chosen. He is asking us to help him decide which recipe would be best to use for those dishes.

Kalle, there are already quite a few recipe apps out there. How would yours be different? Will it be free, or will there be a charge for it?

@GotGarlic
You are right :)

I can tell you in private message about my app/site because I don't want to be promoting it here since that may brake the rules of the forum.

But recipe wise there's no recipe site with all the national dishes listed and recipes for them (not even wikipedia has the full list).

Back
Top Bottom