GCSE - Nutcracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamaitch

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I am a GCSE design technology student. I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in sharing their views on what would be wanted from a bowl and nutcracker. If so I would much appreciate it if you could answer some of these questions.

1) What type of nut do you usualy have to crack?
2) Do you find conventional nutcrackers easy to use?
3) What sort of price range would you think suitable?
4) What type of things would you look for in this type of product?

Thanks for looking
jamaitch

Hello Jamaitch, the majority of members here are not from UK, I hope you don't mind if I tell them that GSCE coursework makes you somewhere between 14-16 years old.

1. I crack a variety of nuts. Ones that I usually buy with shells on include chestnuts and pistachios...at least, there re the ones that cause me most problems..

2. Moderatly, but I find they crtack some of the shell and I have to pick at the nut, getting shell underneath my fingernails (ouch) have you tried it?

3. I would spend more money if I really thought that the product worked, i.e. word of mouth/forum recommendation....but ultimately it is just a nutcracker. The most I have spend on a decorative nutcracker is about 40 pounds sterling, so, I would most certainly not be prepared to spend more than that!

4. That they work. I also like things to be relatively atractive and discreet and easy to clean and carefore, and easy to store out of sight.

Good luck with your project!

I mainly crack walnuts.

I DO have a nutcracker somewhere around the house. And yes, maybe the thing COULD stand some improvement. But I just don't know what to give you on it.

I have a nutcracker but do not use it as it is not so practical and useful when cracking hard nuts. Instead I use two nicely shaped stones to do the job. To answer your questions:

1) What type of nut do you usualy have to crack?
Mostly walnuts and almonds from our garden.

2) Do you find conventional nutcrackers easy to use?
Not exactly as I experience the same problem as Lulu's.

3) What sort of price range would you think suitable?
No more than 10 Euro for standard ones.

4) What type of things would you look for in this type of product?
It shouldn't rust and be durable.

lulu said:
Hello Jamaitch, the majority of members here are not from UK, I hope you don't mind if I tell them that GSCE coursework makes you somewhere between 14-16 years old.

Thanks

Yes I am within that age range.

GSCE's are a british exam system taken when you are 16.

jamaitch

Thanks

Keep letting me know what you think on this.

I will try and keep it updated as I go on

Jamaitch

I use Mole Grips, so anything you could design along those lines would be ideal for someone practical minded such as myself.
I`ve been through several types of nutcracker and Mole Grips turn out to be the 100% best of the bunch.
a metal nail file is fantastic for getting the little bits of walnut out that can get trapped or brazil nuts that stick to the shells.

you will always see these 2 items in my nuts bowl. so maybe something where the handle ends with a small scoop and a fine point?

Just a thought :)

a metal nail file is fantastic for getting the little bits of walnut out that can get trapped or brazil nuts that stick to the shells.

Brilliant, YT!

Thanks I had not thought of that but certainly will bear it in mind

Jamaitch

Back
Top Bottom