"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-06-2006, 04:03 AM   #21
Senior Cook

My name is Marlene and I live in the great white north, eh. LOL I do and I am a northern Canadian dinner cook. I don't normally get a chance to get on here till midnight my time. I have one son, I can't call him a child, still living at home and a boarder/roomie. I work evenings so the big meal of the day is around 2pm each day. Sonnieboy works split shift and roomie works the same shift as me, so that is our daily meal. Roomie works at the same restaurant as I do and we generally have our evening meal there, depending on how busy it is, tonight it was PB &J on toast for me. I have 5 children and 6 grandchildren. One of my daughters works for Airnorth, Yukon's only airline so I get to get out of here fairly cheaply. Roomie has one of the smartest dogs on the planet, a german shepard/coyote cross. I love fishing and would post some photos if I could figure out how.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #22
Sous Chef

O.K. I'll play too! I'm Jean and my husband, Roy, and I just left our mountaintop barn, vineyard, wine-making equipment and kids and friends to semi-retire to Port Angeles, WA - we live on the Straits of Juan de Fuca and absolutely love watching the shipping lanes and all the ships from around the world.

- I'm a retired chef, last job was at a hotel in the foothills of the Sierras. The hotel was built in the 1860s, three story log-type place that was just beautiful. Most of the kitchen equipment was the same vintage... but we made do and put out some great food!

- we have 8 children, 7 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren!! Whew!

- we travel a lot now, I'm working on a couple of cookbooks - have already done one Share a Recipe, that I'm real proud of because all the profits go to Chef Scholarships!! Roy does consulting on the road, so we're having a ball.

Love cooking forums - learning all the great ideas from everyone and sharing a few of my goodies also. Absolutely love the DC forums!!

That be me.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #23
Senior Cook

I guess it is my turn, I am Dale, live 1/2 an hour south of Auckland NZ. We have a small conference centre, on 6+ acres. It is an old nurses home. I am married 33 years, to Shane, and have 3 children, but not a grandchild in sight. Love cooking, and talking about it, gardening, books, and fine china. Matter of fact I like talking about all those things. I am a Reg. Nurse, who sort of fell into cooking, and have an unseemly number of cook books in my little library.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Hey y'all! I'm Billy, retired US Navy. I knew there was something I liked about Alix as soon as I saw her...I have a golden too! I live in Roseburg, OR, USA with one of my sisters and her husband [the 800 pound gorilla--eats like one anyway] and will soon be visiting Dale in New Zealand for a while.

In '68 I discovered it was too expensive to eat out all the time, so bought me a Betty Crocker and was off and running...man-oh-man did I screw up a lot of meals, I hadn't the first idea of how to cook. Here, more years than I care to look at later, I'm a pretty darned good cook and next to "The Gadget Queen Harborwitch-Sharon, I have more gadgets and knives than any one person should have.

I love to tease people [not harmful type teasing] and I must say that just about everyone in this thread left themselves wide open!

One last thing..I have no idea who that crosseyed baby is that I have as an avatar. I saw that picture and fell in love!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcotton

I love to tease people [not harmful type teasing]
You sure came to the right place then
Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Hi bj, Were you ever stationed at Pearl Harbor ?
And by the way, tease away. We can give um as well as take um.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Gotta truffle shaver Billy???? Bob says I'm gonna sink the boat!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #28
Senior Cook

No Wasabi, I was stationed in Spain, Norfolk VA, Key West FL, Memphis TN, Pensacola FL and San Diego. We did deploy to Hickam AFB in HI once for 29 days and when we began our cruise we stopped at Pearl.

Sharon, I hate to tell you this, but I've never even seen a truffle, except the chocolate kind. I have truffle oil. I have an avocado slicer though, want one? How about the new 4 1/2" Santoku by KA, need one of those, only $10 . How about the old Betty Crocker knife I got for $2? That makes the best vegetable cleaver...anything else I can help out with? Now if you want to get rid of one of those jalapeno roaster dewjiggies, I can hep you out there.

I forgot Sweetie, I have a couple of queen size air mattresses if that'll help, you can tow 'em behind you.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Darlin' I have two complete sets of knives, plus all the extras - had to pick and choose what I'd bring to the boat. Just the Henkels and my Calphalon Santoku. I'd love to get a really good cleaver - but no room. I did think about a 28" magnetic bar and all the knives I could fit on it - but I'm afraid they'd fall off if the boat rocked really hard.

I have an avacado slicer, a pineapple slicer, and fruit scoopers.

Now I know what you want for Christmas!!! HeeeeeHeeeeeee!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

name: buckytom. really, it's what i'm called at work. i started here when i was only 22, hence "young buck", later "bucky", eventually "buckytom".
my real name is tom. tommy to my family.

my job: trying to keep from going crazy while keeping the cbs tv network on the air. i help install, maintain, and upgrade all of the systems that make television possible.
i would rather be the owner and chef of a b&b in vermont, while telecommunting to a job in nyc in tv comedy writing, or advertising. maybe someday.

married, with 1 incredible boy that takes me through life's paces everyday (smiles, frustration, laughter, boredom, unconditional love, angst, fear,... all coming down to the greatest joy anyone could ever imagine with just one squeezy hug ). also 4 cats, and 2 parrots, each of which needs more attention than there are hours in a day. but i'm giving it my all.

favourite food: way too many to decide, but i'm partial to cooking italian from my friends and influences when i was young.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote