Gourmande is in the kitchen...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gourmande

Senior Cook
Salut ... Greetings

I have just registered and look forward to contributing, but please be patient as it appears I have quite a lot to catch up on first! Let me start by telling you a bit about "moi".

I’m a late baby-boomer, born, raised, educated etc. in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Ottawa was my home from 1952 until 1999, the year I married and joined my husband in Windsor.

My interest in food and cooking was sparked during a college trip to Quebec City in 1971 (or thereabouts). Not only was I in Canada’s restaurant Mecca (at that time) but I was there with someone who would become by best school mate, an English girl 10 years my senior, who had attended Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Long story short, it all led to the purchase of my first real cookbooks: Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. I and II. And so my culinary adventure began and grew, and is growing still.

G

N.B. edited to add my signature.

Last edited:
Hi, G. Welcome to DC. Doesn't matter whether or not you're a late bloomer, someone who hasn't bloomed yet or someone who kills all their blooms, this is a great place for anyone with any interest in food and cooking. Plenty of other things to be had here, too. We're glad you've found us.

Katie E said:
...Doesn't matter whether or not you're a late bloomer, someone who hasn't bloomed yet or someone who kills all their blooms...
That was "late baby-boomer" not bloomer
I've "bloomed" as much as I would like thank you :LOL:

Thanks for the welcome Katie E. I have a feeling that I will be a while just scratching the surface here; what a discovery this is!

G

G,
baby boomer,novice cook, chef supreme,can't boil water without burning it,doesn't matter at all, here everyone is a friend and helper. Look about and find something that is of interest and just jump in, say hi, ask a question or impart some knowledge, It's all welcome..Just as you are..Enjoy your new place to relax and have fun.
kadesma:)

kadesma said:
G,
..Enjoy your new place to relax and have fun...

Indeed I will, thanks kadesma.

I love the way this forum is organized with such a thorough and clear breakdown of sub-fora. With that level of detail there's something for everyone!

Gourmande will be a very happy camper here... or would that be camp-cook? :)

G

welcome gourmande.

i hope your gastronomic rapacity will find it's satiety here. :)

btw, just for accuracy, if you were in college in '71 you weren't a late baby boomer. you'd had to have been born in the early 50's (unless you were some kind of child prodigy), making you a regular ol' baby boomer.

the late boomers were born in the first half of the 60's, as were i.

on a much more important note: do you like your tea sweetened or unsweetened? :chef:

buckytom said:
...on a much more important note: do you like your tea sweetened or unsweetened?...

Hot tea drinker here - which is what you meant I'm sure - and unsweetened it is.

...if you were in college in '71 you weren't a late baby boomer. you'd had to have been born in the early 50's (unless you were some kind of child prodigy), making you a regular ol' baby boomer...

Guilty... though I thought those born in the 40's were the regulars, ya know, just after the war and all ;)

G

Back
Top Bottom