"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Waving a cheery hello to you Rparmy!

Old 07-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Howdy dooo, and welcome. We're glad to have you.
I just saw some of your soaps on the Random Photo thread and they are just stunning!! They're truly a work of art, much too beautiful to use.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Welcome to DC, Rparrny. My mom had a hip replacement in October of 2015, and she did well with it. Are they doing both hips at the same time, or will you have two different surgeries?
I'm doing both at the same time. My surgeon, who happens to be a good friend, told me the with the amount of pain I live with everyday, the post operative pain will be a fraction of that so doing both at the same time is the best option and I should ace the post operative period.
I was originally scheduled for surgery on July 17th, but Aetna in their moronic wisdom denied it and told me they wanted me to go for 3 months of PT first. We appealed it with a PT consult that basically said...you morons, she can barely walk, how do you expect her to do PT? It got reversed on Friday and I am now waiting for a new surgery date.
Going a little stir crazy at home...
Old 07-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just saw some of your soaps on the Random Photo thread and they are just stunning!! They're truly a work of art, much too beautiful to use.
Thank you so much! I've been making soap for years but only got into the design art in the past year. For the holidays, I make a custom soap for each member of my family. Either the design or scent is made just for them. I usually only use essential oils, but if they have a favorite perfume or cologne I will suck it up (I hate using anything but natural oils) and make their fav.

Below are some of the ones I made for them.
The black, pink, white one was for my niece who loves Game of Thrones, can you see the Dragon?
The blue and white one was for my nephew who loves Cool Water cologne
The green yellow and white one was for my other niece who loves Sunflower perfume.
The brown one was for my sister who is a coffee fanatic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	27370   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	27371  

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27372  
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
For some reason the Game of Thrones soap didn't load so here it is:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	27373  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
I'm doing both at the same time. My surgeon, who happens to be a good friend, told me the with the amount of pain I live with everyday, the post operative pain will be a fraction of that so doing both at the same time is the best option and I should ace the post operative period.
I was originally scheduled for surgery on July 17th, but Aetna in their moronic wisdom denied it and told me they wanted me to go for 3 months of PT first. We appealed it with a PT consult that basically said...you morons, she can barely walk, how do you expect her to do PT? It got reversed on Friday and I am now waiting for a new surgery date.
Going a little stir crazy at home...
Gotta love people's "infinite wisdom". My Mom's surgeon only did 1 but that might have been partly because of her age (she was 76 when she had it done) and pre-existing conditions. She was in rehab for a little over 2 months. She did in-patient rehab because she and I both were scared that she would fall and I wouldn't be able to get her up or I would catch her and then I would fall and do something to myself to make it so I couldn't take care of her. Are you doing in-patient or out-patient rehab?
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Gotta love people's "infinite wisdom". My Mom's surgeon only did 1 but that might have been partly because of her age (she was 76 when she had it done) and pre-existing conditions. She was in rehab for a little over 2 months. She did in-patient rehab because she and I both were scared that she would fall and I wouldn't be able to get her up or I would catch her and then I would fall and do something to myself to make it so I couldn't take care of her. Are you doing in-patient or out-patient rehab?
I'm hoping to be back to work in a week. I have a weird genetic thing in my family and we heal at warp speed from surgery and illnesses. I will have a PT come to the house on my week at home and where I work, there is a PT less than 50 ft away...I don't even need to walk outside the building as a door inside separates our offices.
I've also been doing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy everyday that I can make it to the car. It will build up stem cells that will give me an advantage for the surgery. I will also be doing 2 weeks of treatment after surgery to speed healing.
Lou is an amazing surgeon, he did my mom's hips as well. She went home on post op day 2 (unheard of back then), was walking up and down stairs at home on post op day 3, and by day 4 she ditched the cane (like I said we heal really quick). I'm hoping for a similar course.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rparrny View Post
I'm hoping to be back to work in a week. I have a weird genetic thing in my family and we heal at warp speed from surgery and illnesses. I will have a PT come to the house on my week at home and where I work, there is a PT less than 50 ft away...I don't even need to walk outside the building as a door inside separates our offices.
I've also been doing Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy everyday that I can make it to the car. It will build up stem cells that will give me an advantage for the surgery. I will also be doing 2 weeks of treatment after surgery to speed healing.
Lou is an amazing surgeon, he did my mom's hips as well. She went home on post op day 2 (unheard of back then), was walking up and down stairs at home on post op day 3, and by day 4 she ditched the cane (like I said we heal really quick). I'm hoping for a similar course.
All I have to say is WOW! Hope it all works out good for you. Keep us updated, please.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Welcome to D.C.

I have always had a grand enthusiasm personally for herbal medicinals, alternative medicine and acupunture though I am not a practioner nor am I in the Medical Field ..

All my best for a wonderful summer. Speedy recovery.

Wow. Your Soaps resemble " desserts " .. Wonderful ..
Old 08-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
Master Chef

Welcome to DC. You can teach us and learn a lot here too.