"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Greetings from someone who just stumbled into the kitchen

I have a few good recipes, but I'm not what you'd call an instinctive or intuitive type of cook. I have a little to share and a lot to learn.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

Hello and welcome.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I think the intuitive part of cooking comes with time as you build confidence and learn what flavour combinations you like. I rarely follow recipes...but get inspired by a lot of recipes and then deviate based on what I have on hand.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to DC. I too am a learning cook. I know a lot about cooking, but still have much to learn. I've been doing it for most of my life (and that's a good long time ). There are so many great cooks on this site. We are all people who love to cook, love to share what we know, and love to learn new things.

Here's a great and simple recipe for you, a little "welcome to DC".

Chief Longwind's Pancakes:

Ingredients: Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbs. Sugar
½ tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (You must use Double Acting Baking Powder to get the best texture)

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 plus 1/8 cup milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking oil
Preheat the griddle. Place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir together with a wire whisk or mixing spoon. Add the remaining ingredients and again stir until mixed. Do not stir until all the lumps are gone as this will over-mix the batter. There should be small lumps. These will disappear while cooking the pancakes.
Cook over medium heat until the bubbles close slowly as they rise and pop. Do not cook until the bubbles stay open as this will dry out the pancake. And most importantly, Don’t squish them down with your cake turner or spatula. When they are ready to flip, turn them over and cook for about 1 minute more. Remove from the pan and serve immediately. If you must cook up enough for a bunch of people, keep them warm by stacking in a large-rectangular cake pan and placing the pan into a 120' oven covered with a clean kitchen towel.
You can add blueberries to the uncooked batter without changing anything else. However, if you add acidic fruits such as strawberries, rasp berries, or pineapple, you will need to add ½ tsp. Baking soda to the batter to balance the acid from the fruit.
The above recipe makes enough pancakes for two people. You can easily enlarge the recipe by simply multiplying the ingredients by the same number. That is, if you double the flour, multiply all other ingredients by two.

Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! We're all learning cooks here.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC! We're all learning cooks here.
+1

I think there will always be new things for me to learn in cooking. Hope you like it here and have fun with us.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Welcome aboard. The same description fits me too.

Tags
kitchen