"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Greetings from Spain

Hi everybody....I am a newie from the beautiful mountain village of Periana, in Malaga Province Andalucia Spain. My husband and I have been involved with food for many years through owning restaurants and also running an outside catering business in England and Ireland. Food is our passion and we are currently working on our own Mediterranean recipe website. We moved from coastal Spain into the mountains here last March to run our own little Gastro B&B. We spend most of our time working on the website and looking after our guests...its a great life up here, the REAL Spain....we really feel as if we have landed in paradise. Cant wait to get started with the forum. All the best to you all. Pamspies

Old 06-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Greetings and Welcome to DC --------- Make yourself at home!

Have Fun!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Head Chef

All the best to you, too, and welcome! My fantasy of paradise includes Spain's mediterranean coast. I look forward to an annoucement of your recipe website, hopefully with a few pics of your Andalucian B&B, and an education into real Spain, country style.

In the meantime, I see that there is a paella subject thread here at discusscooking.com I'd like to post to... I hope you will also... *click*
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
Sous Chef

The best vacation I ever had with my wife when we were young was in Spain. Before we were married, we were lucky in the ability to travel often and to where ever we wanted (given a 5 ~ 14 day span). One was in late fall in Spain (around 11/82). Still in the 80's during the day, but the camp grounds were completely empty (off season). But the Europeans camp differently then the Americans do. Really nice individual camp spots, very nice heated shower areas, etc..

Very memorable vacation. I made my young wife sick multiple times driving like Mario Andretti(sp?) up the coast road in Spain. That highway is about 1.5 lanes wide, curvy as though an abstract artist had drawn it. Anyway, I had a pretty zippy Alpha Sudt manual drive car (like a go-kart to drive), driving on a road, most of it without guard rails and hundreds of feet up from the sea. Talk about fun. I had to pull over numerous times so my sweetie could de-stress a little bit :-). I had fun.

Thanks Pamspies for reminding me of a happy time & place.

I forgot to say welcome! Please feel so. We are happy to have you here.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamspies View Post
Hi everybody....I am a newie from the beautiful mountain village of Periana, in Malaga Province Andalucia Spain. My husband and I have been involved with food for many years through owning restaurants and also running an outside catering business in England and Ireland. Food is our passion and we are currently working on our own Mediterranean recipe website. We moved from coastal Spain into the mountains here last March to run our own little Gastro B&B. We spend most of our time working on the website and looking after our guests...its a great life up here, the REAL Spain....we really feel as if we have landed in paradise. Cant wait to get started with the forum. All the best to you all. Pamspies
Old 06-21-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi there! I am envious of you living in the "real" Spain! I lived in the more touristy south for 3 years. It was nice, but nothing compares to real Spain! My wife and I are moving back to Madrid in a month or so. Maybe we'll get to visit your B&B one day! I look forward to seeing your website!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for that....sorry not to have replied sooner have had a full house of guests and no time to look at the site. We love it here in the Spanish countryside (yet we are only a 20 min drive from the coast at Velez Malaga) it really is like paradise. Its great to have the time to do all the things that you love...I suppose that is the advantage of getting to a certain age!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
The best vacation I ever had with my wife when we were young was in Spain. Before we were married, we were lucky in the ability to travel often and to where ever we wanted (given a 5 ~ 14 day span). One was in late fall in Spain (around 11/82). Still in the 80's during the day, but the camp grounds were completely empty (off season). But the Europeans camp differently then the Americans do. Really nice individual camp spots, very nice heated shower areas, etc..

Very memorable vacation. I made my young wife sick multiple times driving like Mario Andretti(sp?) up the coast road in Spain. That highway is about 1.5 lanes wide, curvy as though an abstract artist had drawn it. Anyway, I had a pretty zippy Alpha Sudt manual drive car (like a go-kart to drive), driving on a road, most of it without guard rails and hundreds of feet up from the sea. Talk about fun. I had to pull over numerous times so my sweetie could de-stress a little bit :-). I had fun.

Thanks Pamspies for reminding me of a happy time & place.

I forgot to say welcome! Please feel so. We are happy to have you here.

Bob
Thanks Bob...sorry for the delay in replying but have had a full house of guests in the B&B this weekend and Have not had time. I look forward to getting into Discuss Cooking....I have a lot to learn but relish the challenge.
Best regards
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Sous Chef

That's okay Pamspies... Friends don't have requirements, just positive things to share.

Bob
Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I have traveled around the world and Spain has to rank way up on my list of places to return to. The people, food, culture and of course the country itself. I actually am waiting for the 2010 season at El Bulli right now to hopefully get reservations.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
I have traveled around the world and Spain has to rank way up on my list of places to return to. The people, food, culture and of course the country itself. I actually am waiting for the 2010 season at El Bulli right now to hopefully get reservations.
If that's happening in Barcelona, don't plan on finding a parking spot. I swear that one day, I spent two hours just looking for a place to park, and walk around the city.

Bob