"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
View Poll Results: Who's Is Better?
Cheesyness 1 5 35.71%
Cheesyness 2 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Of the 2 choices, I'd have to say #1, but my favorite is 7-grain bread with butter spread on it, with Velveeta (not the preformed slices, but the loaf type), and ham.

Barbara

Old 04-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I am soooo jealous. Teh grilled cheese sandwiiches made by my grandpa on a thin-plate waffle iron, with reversable plates, were the best! Of course they had Velveeta dripping from them.

I'm telling you, these old waffle iron/sandwich makers are the best. And the price is sure cheaper than these new fangled panini makers. Gosh, do they still make Velveeta?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #23
Master Chef

Without a taste I can't decide....sorry~
Old 04-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
I'm telling you, these old waffle iron/sandwich makers are the best. And the price is sure cheaper than these new fangled panini makers. Gosh, do they still make Velveeta?
You betcha. I still make grilled cheese sandwiches with it. I also top my burgers with it, grilled, broiled, or pan-fried. Though I love good cheese, I also enjoy Velveeta enough that I've been known to munch a piece as a snack.

And here's where some people would just say that I'm a traitor. When we make tacos at my house, make two batches. For the one type, we use fresh tortillas, browned-ground beef, and litle timber shaped pieces of Velveeta. You just place the tortilla in hot oil to soften, with the piece of cheese and some ground beef on top, and cook for about 20 seconds. You then fold the tortilla in half, while still cooking, and using tongs, place in a paper towel lined large pan. You just keep cooking them and placing in the pan until you have the required amount for your crew. Then you make a second batch, using the same technique, but placing only the ground beef on the tortilla. And for those, you have shredded jack and good cheddar available. When I'm feeling amitions, I'll make some carne asada or shredded beef for the meat filling. Just serve both types of taco (with velveeta, or with real cheese) with your favorite taco fillings such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoe, guacamole or avacado slices, cucumber, salsa, sour cream, etc.

Amazingly, the tacos made with the Velveeta taste as good as those made with real cheese. I'm not one to snub a food just because it's not in fasion with food purists. I love a great hot dog as much as I love premium sausage. And a good piece of chuck steak, cooked properly sees my plate much more frequently than does a great rib-steak. And though I love a proper cheese macaroni, crafted with care and the best ingredients, I also love Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

The way I see it, if it tastes good, then eat it (of course trying to keep the meals as healthy as possible).

Hmmmm. I wonder. If you sprayed the soft corn tortilla with cooking spray, and folded it around your favorite fillings, could you cook it with a reversable plate waffle/sandwich maker?

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
Executive Chef

The way I see it, if it tastes good, then eat it (of course trying to keep the meals as healthy as possible).

Nothing wrong with that!

Hmmmm. I wonder. If you sprayed the soft corn tortilla with cooking spray, and folded it around your favorite fillings, could you cook it with a reversable plate waffle/sandwich maker?

Actually that was exactly what I thought I would do with the old beastie, but I have not tried it yet.

There may be nothing wrong with Velveeta cheese!!! I just associate it with my Mom's cooking which was
Old 04-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #26
Master Chef

I make my grilled cheese sandwiches with Velveeta Lite, and I spread "tub butter" (lowfat spread) on the bread. Another way, if you're wanting to save calories even more, is to spray butter-flavored cooking spray directly on the bread and toast in non-stick skillet. I use whatever bread I happen to have open...we like all kinds.
It isn't that I wouldn't enjoy the fancier cheeses...I'm sure they're great. But this is my everyday comfort food.
I'm with Weed on the Kraft Mac & Cheese, too. Sometimes it's just what I want.

By the way, GoodWeed, have you tried their Easy Mac? It's a bit pricey, but all you do is pop it in the nuke for 4 minutes with some water, then stir the sauce mix in after you take it out. It is actually better than the other kind, and great to have on hand for kids (or g'mas) who want a quick lunch.
I kept little Jesse a couple of days last week while he was on Spring Break, and one day I fixed the easy mac with a hot dog cut up in it. It was a big hit!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #27
Head Chef

Here's one to make most of you go "eewww"...growing up, mom always made our grilled cheese with mini marshmallows. Try it....
Old 04-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Hey Angie, I was raised on sandwiches made with white bread, margarine and marshmallow creme. Oh, and fried bologna on white.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I like to butter the bread with my grilled cheese and like the 2 slices of cheese for a better taste.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
Hey Angie, I was raised on sandwiches made with white bread, margarine and marshmallow creme. Oh, and fried bologna on white.

YEA! Someone else who has eaten marshmallow sandwiches!