"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

He Who has the Most Toys...

Greetings fellow food enthusiasts. I am a parent who loves to eat. My girlfriend figured out the easiest way for her to get out of having to cook was to let me get a gadget or two for the kitchen. I can't resist something with a cord.

A few years ago, I discovered slow cookers. It changed my life. I may have too many of them. Last year, my girlfriend introduced me to the Instant Pot. It has an app and everything. Yes, I began pressure cooking and slow cooking most of our meals.

Just a few weeks ago, I took the plunge and bought an Anova Precision Cooker. You guessed correctly, it changed my life. Now, I'm seasoning, sealing in bags, cooking in water, and searing on cast iron. What gadget will I should I get next?

Oh, and I have a few other interests. There's Walt Disney World. I love the place. Pro tip, you are never too old for Walt Disney World. Quick story time...

Once up on a time (Storyteller's Union requirement), we were at WDW waiting in line for Dumbo, before they moved it. An older couple boarded the ride while we were waiting. Him in his tweed jacket and her in a dress. When the ride took off the enjoyment of the lady was obvious as she laughed and made sounds like an excited kid. When the ride stopped the cast member left them on for a second run.

This time when it stopped the man helped his wife from the ride. It took a few minutes for her to get out and fix her hat. He then turned to the crowd. We could see the tears on his face. He thanked us for our patience and he told us that it was the first time that he'd heard his wife's voice in several years. Then as the crowd cheered and clapped, he doffed his cap, performed a perfect bow, and offered his arm to his wife and the walked slowly off toward the Mad Hatter's Tea Cup ride.

There's gardening. I love fresh vegetables. The low carb lifestyle is my go to diet when I don't like what I see on my Withings Body Cardio. I did mention that I liked gadgets. I am a coffee aficionado. Forget Starbucks. I'll take my grinder and french press any day of the week. I'm into hybrid automobiles and Apple products.

If you have a kitchen gadget that has an iPhone app, I will be glad to try it out.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi !!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

My "toys" aren't in the kitchen, except the LEM grinder and sausage stuffer, but outside in the car port. Horizon 16 Classic offset stick burner, large BGE, Weber 22.5 and my jet cookers. The newest gadgets in the kitchen are the induction burners.

Back in the '70's, when first introduced, I realized that fatty meats swam in the fat during cooking in a crock pot (dinner made by ex MIL). Never had an interest then and not any interest now.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I am jealous of your toys. We love the slow cookers for the ease of using those prepare ahead dump meals. Most of what we make in them is chili, soups, and stuff like that.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome!

My slow cookers are porcelain coated cast iron dutch ovens, or the Weber Kettle I use for smoking.

I do use my Anova sous vide cooker, and the Searzall propane torch attachment I use to sear my sous vide cooked food (another kitchen toy for your girlfriend to get for you).

I'm glad to see you already have ten posts. Keep it up!

CD
Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Southern Dad...

Ross
Old 09-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Now THAT's an intro.

Welcome, Dad.

Btw, Craigsy, I guess you're not big on a confit?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Welcome!

My slow cookers are porcelain coated cast iron dutch ovens, or the Weber Kettle I use for smoking.

I do use my Anova sous vide cooker, and the Searzall propane torch attachment I use to sear my sous vide cooked food (another kitchen toy for your girlfriend to get for you).

I'm glad to see you already have ten posts. Keep it up!

CD
I have a porcelain coated cast iron dutch oven but we use the slow cooker for cooking meals while we are out and about. One of my slow cookers can be started, stopped, or adjusted via WiFi in case we are going to get home earlier or later than planned.

The Searzall is something that I have added to my wish list. I am working to get used to cooking using sous vide. I learned about the sous vide and the Searzall from YouTube videos.

And finishing up, I would probably have had a few more posts but the system flagged me as suspicious due to my use of links, photos, and even attaching a YouTube video of bacon. Bacon is always good, what does the system have against it? But anyway, I digress. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Now THAT's an intro.

Welcome, Dad.

Btw, Craigsy, I guess you're not big on a confit?
Confit is a cooking technique, pork butt should not swim in its own fat. I'll never forget how good the dish my ex-MIL made sounded, beef, beer, onions and olives. The taste and grease were another thing all together.