Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FryBoy

Washing Up
I'm a 60-year-old coot from Hermosa Beach, a tiny community in the South Bay area of Los Angeles, known for beer, beach volleyball, and babes. :devilish:

Cooking, food, and wine have been interests of mine for nearly 40 years. I have a collection of nearly 1000 cookbooks, including many rare American volumes, plus a lot of Italian, French, Mexican, and other ethnic cookbooks. I'be been collecting wine since college, and have about 500 bottles in my cellar. My kitchen has more pots, pans, knifes, and kitchen gadgets than you can imagine. It's a sickness!

I'm considered to be a pretty good cook, baker, and BBQ guy -- as my lawyer daughter puts it, "He can FIX recipes!" You name it, I've made it, and so far no one's died.

I look forward to discussing cooking with the members of this group.

FryBoy

Welcome aboard, Fryboy!
I have a feeling you'll be able to share quite a lot with us!
Soooo, what are your specialities?

Thanks.

I have no real specialties, as I cook just about everything. I guess Italian, Mexican, and Chinese are on the list, but my apple pies are mandatory at the holidays, and I'm good around the grill.

Hi! Welcome!

I would like to know what your oldest cookbook is & also what you consider to be your most unusual cookbook. :)

One more thing - do you do anything with Chinese noodles? Pan fried, lo mein, chow fun, etc.? I'm having trouble coming up with recipes that look good to me.

Thank you & enjoy yourself here!
Corinne

Welcome aboard!

I consider, "...so far no one's died.", to be a resounding endorsement of your cooking skills!

Connie,

I think my oldest cookbook is also the prize of my collection, an 1894 first edition of Charles Ranhofer's "The Epicurean." It's in near-fine condition and probably worth $1000 or more. I say I "think" that's my oldest because my collection is not well cataloged, but most of my books are from the mid 20th century.

Unusual is harder to determine, as I'm not sure what you would consider unusual -- rare? Strange? Or just bad? Here are a couple of candidates:

Mrs. Rasmussen's Book of One-Arm Cookery (i.e., a bottle of beer in the other habnd) from 1946.

A Thousand Ways to Please a Husband with Bettina's Best Recipes, from 1917.

Romanae Artis Coquinariae Liber, a 1958 translation of The Art of Cooking by Apicius, an ancient Roman cookbook. (Recipes that are just strange!)

I also have a superb copy of the 1936 Joy of Cooking.

I'll have to look to see if I have a good Chinese noodle recipe -- I'm sure I do, but I have to find it.

FryBoy

Corinne said:
Hi! Welcome!

I would like to know what your oldest cookbook is & also what you consider to be your most unusual cookbook. :)

One more thing - do you do anything with Chinese noodles? Pan fried, lo mein, chow fun, etc.? I'm having trouble coming up with recipes that look good to me.

Thank you & enjoy yourself here!
Corinne

Back
Top Bottom