"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Sly Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2
Hello

I just stumbled across this board. I made Gumbo Ya-Ya last night for Christmas Eve and it was to die for.

I am from Nebraska. I was in the Air Force for 21 years. I was an aircraft mechanic, I am retired now. I bought a cafe and this is what I'm doing now. What a challenge, fun and rewarding challenge.

I'm a single mom of two teenage boys, a dog and a cat. Hmmm.....what else?

__________________

__________________
Sly Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Senior Cook
 
SueBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 111
Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Smile Howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Girl
I just stumbled across this board. I made Gumbo Ya-Ya last night for Christmas Eve and it was to die for.

I am from Nebraska. I was in the Air Force for 21 years. I was an aircraft mechanic, I am retired now. I bought a cafe and this is what I'm doing now. What a challenge, fun and rewarding challenge.

I'm a single mom of two teenage boys, a dog and a cat. Hmmm.....what else?
Welcome to the board! I'm in Iowa (not too far from downtown Omaha) so hi neighbor! Happy holidays! Quite familiar with Offutt AFB. Was a contractor there a few years back at StratCom DFAS, fabulous group of persons I worked with. Thanks so much to everyone who worked so hard to keep things running in tip top shape for the country! You guys and gals are fantastic! Congrats on the new business, sounds exciting best of luck with it!
What was the recipe you followed for the Gumbo? Something you did yourself or was it one you did from a book? Could you post it in the recipe section??

Glad to have you here and looking forward to chatting with you!

Sue
__________________

__________________
It's the simple things in life we experience that add spice and sweetness to those every day dull moments.
SueBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 5,912
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Merry Christmas and welcome to DC, SueBear - great site ! Never made gumbo, sounds good !
__________________
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 196
Hello Sly Girl,

Congrats on the new business. I've never made gumbo either, but would like to see the recipe. Do you mind sharing it?
Stargazer in Michigan
__________________
stargazer021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,171
Welcome, I know you are going to like it here.
__________________
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Rogers
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
SueBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa
Posts: 111
Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Thanks Barb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
Merry Christmas and welcome to DC, SueBear - great site ! Never made gumbo, sounds good !
Thanks for the compliment Barb!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

Sue
__________________
It's the simple things in life we experience that add spice and sweetness to those every day dull moments.
SueBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Michelemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Suburb of Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,614
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Merry Christmas and welcome to DC! Single mom-2 teens - you are going straight to heaven.
__________________
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,038
Sly Girl welcome to DC.

I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
__________________

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Sly Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear
Welcome to the board! I'm in Iowa (not too far from downtown Omaha) so hi neighbor! Happy holidays! Quite familiar with Offutt AFB. Was a contractor there a few years back at StratCom DFAS, fabulous group of persons I worked with. Thanks so much to everyone who worked so hard to keep things running in tip top shape for the country! You guys and gals are fantastic! Congrats on the new business, sounds exciting best of luck with it!
What was the recipe you followed for the Gumbo? Something you did yourself or was it one you did from a book? Could you post it in the recipe section??

Glad to have you here and looking forward to chatting with you!

Sue
It's one that is already posted here in soups and stews, it's called Gumbo Ya Ya.
__________________
Sly Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,362
Welcome aboard!
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.