Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manny818

Assistant Cook
just wanted to say hi ....I heard this site is addicting -so let the addiction begin;)

------ HAPPY THANKSGIVING --------

Last edited:
welcome to DiscussCooking....hope you get as much out of it as I do!

Welcome Manny, and Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Well, Bilby, those of us from "the dominions" can keep each other company. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving around harvest time, or do you have another holiday to celebrate the harvest?

We don't celebrate any harvesting at all, Cordel. We have the Christian holidays of Christmas and Easter (two public holidays for each), one for Labour Day (the eight-hour day), Foundation Day (when Perth was proclaimed as being "Found"), New Year's Day, Australia Day (when Capt Cook first arrived at Botany Bay in 1788), Anzac Day to celebrate our fallen war heroes, and Queen's Birthday Holiday (not that it is anywhere near her birthday). They are the public holidays in Perth but there are variations across the country, eg Melbourne has a public holiday for the Melbourne Cup but we don't. We don't celebrate any other days except for individual personal/cultural/religious reasons. Anzac Day is probably our biggest in some ways as Australia Day is seen by parts of the community as a day of Sorrow for the massacres of the Aboriginals that took place upon settlement. Personally I think it should be seen as a day of unity rather than a day to remind us of the past. I think a lot of people think that way now.

If we don't get a public holiday for it, we don't celebrate it!!!LOL We were always known as the land of the long weekend!!!

That is very interesting. I think we have a similar number of days, and share the Queen's birthday, Labour Day, Christmas and Easter. We have Canada day. Remembrance Day(much like Anzac Day, I'm sure) is not a holiday, except for Banks and Government offices, though people who choose can go to services for 11:00 AM, and everyone observes the minute of silence, even in fast food restaurants.

That is very interesting. I think we have a similar number of days, and share the Queen's birthday, Labour Day, Christmas and Easter. We have Canada day. Remembrance Day(much like Anzac Day, I'm sure) is not a holiday, except for Banks and Government offices, though people who choose can go to services for 11:00 AM, and everyone observes the minute of silence, even in fast food restaurants.
Ooh I forgot Rememberance Day on 11 Nov. We don't get a holiday for it but the tvs and radios give a minute's silence at 11am. Also called Poppy Day. Most people observe the minute's silence.

Anzac Day was initially used to acknowledge the role the Australian and New Zealand army corps played in WW1 at the battle in Gallipoli, Turkey. It has since been used to celebrate all our fallen and returned war heroes/veterans from all wars that we have been involved in. We have dawn services across the country as well as church services and parades through our cities. It is a day of national pride with more and more kids taking part.

Australia Day though is a time of concerts and fireworks and protests!

Welcome Manny, Happy Thanksgiving Day. You're correct, this site is verrrrry addicting . So WATCH YOUR COOKING!!!!

Back
Top Bottom