Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rettoc

Assistant Cook
Just an introduction -

I am a new member hoping to find some inspiration for great (and fast!) food ideas. I have two "problem eaters". My husband was recently diagnosed with T2 diabetes and needs to loose a few pounds to keep his blood sugar in check without meds. He will eat anything I prepare! He is not fussy!

My 78 year old father is staying with us (my mother recently passed away) because he needs to gain weight!!! He is a little fussy about what he likes to eat (no spicey foods, nothing exotic!). It is a struggle to get him to eat veggies. He has some heart related health concerns that are under control with meds, so he does not limit the butter or high fat foods he eats.

With these two disparate diets I sometimes feel like I have to prepare very different menus. I find myself making lots of goodies for my dad, but worried that I may be tempting my hubby!

Mary

Welcome to DC, Mary!
Wow, you do have 2 different diets to cook for! My older brother has T1 diabetes. He was diagnosed at age 17 and Mom would always struggle with baking for the rest of us, worrying about tempting him. She'd often bake sugar-free stuff for all of us or bake something different for him. And she always kept sugar-free ice cream on hand so at least he'd have something 'dessert-ish'.

Thanks for the welcome Kay.

My hubby hasn't quite accepted his new diagnosis. We will attend a few sessions with a dietician next month. Neither of the men in my house are happy in the kitchen so if I don't make something nutritious they resort to cookies and cheerios!

It has been easy to help my dad. He has gained 7 pounds in the last month while staying with me. I wish I could say it would be as easy for my hubby to loose the same!

I admit, I do not like 'diet' foods, and have been blessed with the ability to eat whatever I want without too much worry. So my husband's dietary restrictions may be more of a challenge. I hope he can learn some self control!

Mary

Hey, I feel for your husband. I'm trying to lose weight too and it's HARD to stay away from the cookies and chocolates and what all.

It would be very hard to accept that diagnosis. He can at least be thankful that he has T2 instead of T1... my brother has to take shots every day.

Now, your dad's 'problem', I'd get along fine with that... trying to gain weight. :)

I wish you all the best of health. Good luck with the cooking!

Back
Top Bottom