Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vermae

Assistant Cook
My name is Vermae and I'm glad I found you.You would think at my age I should know all about cooking but I don't,Somewhere along the line I lost it.When we have a cookout or party I'm the one who always brings the potato salad,Well here lately be for I can get it there it becomes watery.Been makeing it the same way for ever and had no problem.Now it's soupy.Have I lost it?:(

Welcome Vermae - I never did learn how to boil potatoes, they are either too hard or mushy. So I can't help you with your problem but I'll bet someone here can!

Hi, vermae. Welcome to DC.

I've been cooking for about 50 years and have cooked my share of potatoes. I have a rice steamer that has a vegetable steamer insert. That's what I've been using recently to cook potatoes for potato salad. I set the steamer ON and gauge the doneness of the potatoes by inserting a thin-bladed knife into one. If the knife slips in with little resistance, the potatoes are done. Using the steamer keeps the potatoes out of water so they're nice and dry for potato salad.

Actually, when I cooked my potatoes in boiling water, I used the same knife test. I made sure to remove the potatoes from the hot water immediately to a strainer or colander so they could cool and have any residual water drain away. There will be some carry-over cooking because they are so hot.

Hope my answer helps.

Stick around and become part of our great big food family. We're glad you've joined us.

Welcome from Georgia. Don't make potato salad so I can't help you. I'm the only one in my entire family that eats potato salad so no point in making it for myself, I'll just eat everyone else's or buy some at the deli.

Someone told me if you test your potatosalad with the same spoon twice your salad will break down.If this is true and they were not pulling my leg maybe the medicines I'm takeing has something to do with it.Say it aint so.

Someone told me if you test your potatosalad with the same spoon twice your salad will break down.If this is true and they were not pulling my leg maybe the medicines I'm takeing has something to do with it.Say it aint so.

As for that, the only thing I can relate it to is that saliva on a spoon has the potential for breaking down foods if the utensil has been put into the food more than once. This comes from when I had babies and was told not to "taste" the baby food before feeding it to my baby. Don't know about that but, I'm sure, someone more knowledgeable on these boards will weigh in and help you more.

Be patient. Answers will come. Weekends are a bit slower than weekdays. You'll, no doubt, get more thorough educated answers.

Back
Top Bottom