Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nekom

Assistant Cook
I was looking for a cooking forum, and this one seemed pretty active. I'm 28 and all my life I've never cooked. My mother always cooked for me, then my wife always cooked for me. Well it's a new year and it's time for a new hobby, and a useful and tasty one at that! What really got me interested is the wide array of herbs and spices that are almost unknown in America. I want to toast and grind my own blends, so that I have full control over the flavor. I'm sure this will yield some failures early one, but I figure if I track what doesn't work and what does, I'll wind up with some great dishes. Can't wait to read through all the great info here.

welcome nekom.

nekom if ya got 'em. :)

just curious, what spices and herbs are unkown in america?

Well of course no herbs and spices are unknown to ALL Americans, I'm sure there are many out there who have used them all, but it seems to me that a lot of them are neglected here. Everyone I know has thyme, nutmeg, rosemary, etc. in their spice rack, but it seems to me nobody has Saffron, Ajowan, Tumeric, some of the things that are so popular in other countries seem nearly unheard of here.

There's a Penzy's (somebody on another site i frequent recommended them) within driving distance, so between that and mail order, even the most rare and exotic spices from the farthest reaches of the Earth can be obtained easily. Little pricy, but not prohibitively expensive.

Oh and thanks everyone for the friendly welcome!

ooh, good one: ajowan. never heard of it. have to look it up. thanks.

turmeric and saffron i know, but very rarely use.

another one i like that isn't common here is culantro.

Based on the spices you have posted, are you Indian? I run into those spices when I pull out my Indian Cook Book. Tumeric and Saffron add a great flavor, and a really bright color to dishes. There are a couple of Indian stores very close to my office, and the price on saffron is about 1/4th of what it is at regular grocery stores.

bonjour7.gif
hello.gif
&
th_welcome.gif

Back
Top Bottom