Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodie4life

Assistant Cook
Hello, I am an amatuer cook who has never worked in a kitchen but i enjoy cooking and look forward to talking with you and i hope i can contribute

Welcome! My son lives in VA, was at Va Beach for his wedding in May.
What's your specialty?

I am just beginning to cook more seriously, I would not say i have a specialty yet. (Although I make a pretty good focaccia). I do make chili quite often during football season and take alot of pride it that as well. I'm always trying new recipes so if you know of a good one let me know!

welcome on board. I love foccacia but haven't made one myself yet. I cook more Asian food but trying to learn food from other countries.

You should make the focaccia, it is really easy and doesn't take that long. Asian cooking is something i know very little about, so of course I'm very interested in learning about it.

I really want to try making foccacia one of these days. Have been in my mind for quite sometime. What do you usually eat it with? If you like to learn some Asian cooking, I have put up quite a number of recipes that I personally cooked at home. They are easy to cook. There are pictures to follow. You can head to Misc section, then Ethnic section and look for the thread 'Delicious, easy, simple Asian recipes' or you can also check it out at Keep Learning Keep Smiling for more. I'll be most happy to help if you have any questions.

Cheers,
shalinee

Hello, I am an amatuer cook who has never worked in a kitchen but i enjoy cooking and look forward to talking with you and i hope i can contribute

img_848516_0_660fb0776a382703b64b648d35233f98.gif
Hi, & welcome, jump in!

Thank you Shalinee for the Keep Learning Keep Smiling website. I've only browsed it so far but it looks great!:) As for the foccacia I usually end up eating all of it fresh out of the oven with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. It would be nice to have leftovers for a sandwich.

foodie4life, thanks for your compliments. I'm wondering how you eat the foccacia bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Do you brush the mixture over it or use it as a dipping sauce?

I mince garlic into the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then dip the bread into it, it is very simple but very good. I have a great focaccia recipe if you are looking for one. (although it is a double rise, so it can be time consuming)

Wow....that's how u eat it. Now I can imagine how good it is. The Chinese eat their dumplings by dipping into a balsamic + soya sauce + chilli oil. I'm really learning more each day. Oh, would really appreciate your recipe for focaccia. Thanks very much. Do you have a blog that I can just look up so that you don't have to type so much?

4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 Tablespoon kosher salt plus a little more for sprinkling
2 Cups warm water ( no hotter than 105 degrees F)
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 1/2ounces) active dry yeast
6 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil ( plus more for greasing the bowl )
Three Large Roma Tomatoes cut sideways into 1/4 inch slices
Leaves from one sprig of rosemary finely chopped ( about 1 tablespoon)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
Coarsely Ground Black Pepper

Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Lightly flour a work surface.
Combine the water and yeast in a small bowl; stir well and let sit for a few minutes, then add the 6 tablespoons of oil. Add to the bowl with the flour and salt. Knead the dough for 10 minutes (in the bowl), until it is smooth and elastic (in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, the dough should take 6 to minutes).
Generously grease a large stainless-steel mixing bowl with oil. Transfer the kneaded dough to the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot free of drafts; let it sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.
Punch down the dough. Lightly grease a 17-by-12-inch (or 15-by-10-inch) rimmed baking sheet, then transfer the dough to the sheet and stretch it to fill to the edges. Place in a warm spot free of drafts and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in bulk. The dough should be visibly airy and will have risen just above the rim of the baking sheet (if it hasn't risen that high, the focaccia dough can still be baked; the bread will just be flatter).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Liberally apply the oil to the surface of the dough, then arrange the tomato slices on top. Use you fingers to dock the dough all over. Sprinkle evenly with the rosemary, grated cheese, and with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown; for best results, rotate the pan front to back every 10 minutes during baking.
Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.

p.s. Sorry for taking so long to post this!

foodie4life, thx so much for the recipe. I'd love to try. I don't know what is parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Is there a substitute? I also don't know what is kosher salt. Can I use sea salt?

Sea Salt is what i used, and parmigiano-reggiano cheese is Parmesan cheese. Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy.

Thx lots for explanation. I hope to make one of these days.

Cheers,
shalinee

focaccia bread

I mince garlic into the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then dip the bread into it, it is very simple but very good. I have a great focaccia recipe if you are looking for one. (although it is a double rise, so it can be time consuming)
Hi...i love focaccia..can u share ur recipe here..:LOL:...

Back
Top Bottom