"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Awesome you my new found friends ROCK!!! O and I forgot to tell you that I love cole slaw. Especially from KFC!! It's my favorite yummy;)!! I didn't realize how hard it is to control how you eat when you've been eating everything and anything. One thing I need to ask I make one of the best well in my opinion spaghetti in the world. I cook it with 85/15 hamburger meat cause it needs a little fat for flavor. Can I still eat this maybe with wheat noodles or no?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Absolutely, spaghetti sauce is a great food for dieting. Add in those veggies that you do like with the spaghetti, I'm to the point where I rarely eat pasta anymore, I put my sauce on steamed zucchini, squash or broccoli, three veggies I would not eat 5 years ago if you beat me with a stick.

The best breakfast is two eggs, scrambled with tomatoes and spinach, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Hello. Welcome to DC.

Water. I didn't see anyone mention drink more water. Put a slice of lemon or lime wedge and chill. Keep a pitcher in the fridge. So you think you are serving up a glass of something special.

I too just discovered winter has not been kind to me. I hardly left the house all winter. Now guess what. My belt buckle needs to be let out a notch. For me, that means more walking and bike riding now that the weather has turned around. Plus I too, need to be more conscious of both what I eat and the amount.

I think there is a whole "who's trying to lose weight" thread on DC. Guess you and I need to read it together. Good luck pardner.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Amen that bro. Yes winter is always a struggle for me. I feel like a bear going into hibernation. Lol. I need to teach myself how to fight through the winter and stay fit. It's hard though. It's like when I became a Christian. It's so easy to fall back into the flash where you feel safe, but when I started following Jesus I realized that I wasn't safe at all. Then my life changed and more struggle began cause me and my family was under attack by satan. He was pretty pissed!! That was in 07' and it's still a struggle. But as the good word says,"Fight The Good Fight!"

I do drink a lot of water when I'm at work, that's really all I drink until I get home then it's a big glass of SWEET TEA! HUMMY!! Lol. But that is a good idea to make a pitcher of lemon water.

I'm not a big breakfast eater. What's a good supplement? And I hate broccoli squash!! What about wheat pasta for spaghetti?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Whole wheat pasta is good, but I still suggest adding extra veg that you like in with the pasta and then slowly reduce the pasta and increasing the veg. It's just like every other new thing in life, baby steps. It took more than one day to get out of shape, it's going to take more than one day to get back.

You still have not given us a good idea of what veg you do like, so it's hard to read your mind from here to find out your likes and dislikes so we can make suggestions that you are willing to try.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Oops. I'm sorry. I like green beans, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers. I'll eat an avocado but only in fajitas cause I can't taste the texture of it. I can't eat it by itself. I know that sounds crazy. But my wife makes this veggie smoothie with all the veggies you have been mentioning with fruit. My three year old loves it and he is a very, very, picky eater. Could I supplement that for dinner or something?
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

O and I love onions. I'll cook with green and red peppers but don't eat them. I also love cole slaw.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Check the calorie count of the smoothie. Here is a good Calorie Counting site with appropriate serving sizes: CalorieKing - Calorie Counter - Nutritional Information

Smoothies can be calorie bombs, most adults are better off with a glass of low-fat milk with Ovaltine stirred in.

As for breakfast, you have to MAKE yourself eat breakfast. Start out small with just a slice of toast with butter and jam. It took me considerable time to be able to eat first thing in the morning and when I did start, the weight came off.

I've even used coleslaw cut cabbage and carrots as a base for spaghetti sauce, steam it in a little water in a tightly covered pan for 7 minutes, top with the sauce.

Fresh green beans, steamed and tossed with garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil is to die for!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Cool thanks so much for the info. I'll be asking other questions as I go on this journey I'm sure of it lol. Thanks again!!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Well so far so good on my eating right new life style. I've cheated a few time and after the last few weeks and can tell a deference in foods I eat. When I eat junk food or fast food it makes me feel 😟like I just eat a ton of bricks. It's weird I'd never thought you could feel what's bad for you. It also amazes me that your body, if you listen to it, will tell you," hey what the hell are you eating that for I don't like it!" Lol!!
O and I've lost 6lbs. 👊👊👋👋