"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I suggest buying a good cookbook that teaches as you learn to cook. I used to recommend Better Homes and Gardens, but I have changed my mind and now suggest Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! Bittman also has the "How To Cook Everything" app for iPad and Android. Super cheap as I recall. Great cookbook.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #13
Executive Chef
My immediate cookbook recommendation is either a Better Homes and Gardens or Betty Crocker (older edition, tif possible) followed immediately with a longer read with ...

The Joy of Cooking / Rambauer- Becker, UK edition. I think the Joy is complex as a first read, and having used multiple recipes from US editons over the years, it becomes more understandable and you find how could I have missed reading this, even though my fingers touched the pages or find things you didn't pick up on the first go-around.

Check these or any cook books at your local bookstore before buying. Do you have a Used bookstore you can look as well?

As has either been mentioned or alluded, you will find multiple opinions on these pages. I think this is one of the hallmarks about DC. You get to
decide what is best/ most workable for you until someone else offers a different idea, and then you go Whoa, and you add that into the equation.

Delia Smith seems popular in the UK. I may have copied some of her recipes, though I don't recall making any yet. She may have an active TV show , Youtubes and cookbooks. Worth checking out.

I may be a wee bit older than you, but I remember watching Two Fat Ladies on PBS in US/ BBC UK Now available full episodes on YouTube. Mention this for our Am friends as well as you. Cooking made fun. On motorcycles.

Start small, think big.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
I am repackaging and preparing meats for the freezer. I get tired of having to stop and write down on each freezer bag with the permanent marker. So even before I start, I cut out the price label and when I have all the meat into the freezer bag. I place the cut out label inside the bag where it can be clearly seen. All the information is right on the label. Weight, Sell by date, (tells me when I bought it.) and other pertinent info. Saves a lot of guessing later on. Each piece of meat is individually wrapped and the label sit on top of the plastic wrap. I place it on the back of the freezer bag so none of the company labeling printing on the front will cover it up.

Of course that doesn't help when I might go up the street to the butcher shop. They cut you meat to order right then and wrap it in butcher paper. But that is very rare. Not in my budget.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is online now   Reply With Quote