Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spandau91

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,

I have recently moved into a new home with my partner and would like to get into cooking. I love food and have always wanted to make delicious food from scratch without too much difficulty. I am a little unusual because I have never really cooked when I lived at home (at all if I'm honest) so I am a complete novice.

I have joined this forum to look for recipe ideas, any hints and tips you guys may have and more importantly any daft questions I may want to ask in future.

Thank you for reading my introduction and I hope to be whipping up meals in no time. :chef:

Welcome, you have indeed picked the right forum, there are some good cooking minds amongst these pages..

If I were first starting into cooking I would start with home made bread and pasta, they took the longest for me to get right, I wish I started sooner.
There are a few reasons to start with pasta and bread though.
1 they have a huge range, you can start with a basic bread and a basic pasta and over time add and improve your recipe to something really complex and special.
2 the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen
3 the tools needed are also probably in your kitchen too
4 they are easy to start with and very rewarding
5 they most definitely taste better from your kitchen than from the store...

I would start with a nice italian dinner...

A basic bread recipe simple, flour, water, yeast, and salt. {olive oil maybe} You can mix and knead by hand if you don't have a stand mixer... You literally need them ingredients, an oven pan or stone and a spoon.

A flavored butter, this is as easy as it sounds, butter, whipped with sugar and honey or garlic and basil, the sky is the limit...

Then for pasta start with a basic pasta thats going to be flour, eggs, and olive oil mixed with a table fork, rolled with a bottle, and cut with a knife on your counter top..

A nice basic pasta sauce, onions, tomato, salt, sugar, and pepper...

That will give you a start, make it once a week and add/change something every time... Also its nice to buy 1 new kitchen tool per week, something simple like week 2 buy a fluted pastry wheel for cutting the pasta a little different, you can get a double sides one for $7 from nor pro.. Week 2 buy a nice bread knife like the victorinox 10.5" wavy edge for $35.

So changing the menu is easy, week one do the basic, week 2 add cornmeal to the bottom of your bread and a little sugar to the dough, add meatballs to the menu and try a new pasta cut like farfalle {easy cut a rectangle- 2 smooth sides and 2 fluted then pinch the center}, and maybe change something about your sauce that you noticed you didn't like las time, maybe some red flake, or fresh garlic, or butter, etc...

I started this way, now I make ravioli, lasagna, gnocchi, pierogi, so many different sauces I couldn't list them, french bread, sour dough, italian, rolls, loaves, braids, its endless...

And the best part is, I can have 6 cups of flour, some olive oil, 3-4 eggs, 4 fresh tomatoes, a couple onions, a packet of instant yeast, water, garlic, salt, and pepper and with just a stove, fork, and pan make an italian dinner that will rival most restaurants...

If you start this way some day you will be hand rolling your own spinach ricotta ravioli in a lemon butter cream sauce, while your 5 braid french loaf is rising in a flax couche...

Then once you are comfortable with your pasta, bread, sauce skills, you can start looking into other skills like roasts, soups, casseroles, and on and on and on...

Last edited:
Hi, Spandau91! Welcome to Discuss Cooking. :) We're happy to have you here. It isn't actually necessary to start with homemade bread, pasta and sauce right off the bat. Let us know how you would like to start and we would be happy to help.

Hi, Spandau91! Welcome to Discuss Cooking. :) We're happy to have you here. It isn't actually necessary to start with homemade bread, pasta and sauce right off the bat. Let us know how you would like to start and we would be happy to help.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you had to start with bread and pasta, if I did I apologize...

And I am imagining this isn't going to be your first time heating up food, so I wouldn't say "its right off the bat", lol... I was just sharing my thoughts on a good way to get serious about cooking, them items are staples, easy, and rewarding to make a dish start to finish with nothing but basic ingredients. I have taught a few classes on everything from self defense to sheet metal manufacturing, and I learned that if you want to get someone into something its best starting them off by diving in. Sending them home on day one able to make a sheet metal plenum with nothing but a pair of tin snips and a 2x4, the second day they are showing up early and can't wait to learn the next step, same with most things, self defense, you show a 105 lb women how to use her 220 lb attackers approaching force and the leverage of her pivoting at her waist to take him off his feet and plant him at hers on day one and she will hardly blink for the rest of the classes...

So my advice stands, dive in, you can't fail you have nothing to lose, its your first time, you can make a mixing motion with your hands and know how to measure and turn on a stove, you can make the items I listed above, the beauty part is after your first day you will have such a feeling of satisfaction you won't be able to wait for your next kitchen session..

I doubt you came here to learn how to boil pasta from a box, take the sauce from a jar and take your bread out of a bakery bag, my 13 year old can do that. Although my 13 year old can make pasta and bread by hand too, and his red sauce is very good, kind of sweet and he likes to put black olives and butter in it instead of olive oil, but very good

Last edited:
The OP said she's a complete novice. Some beginners might be overwhelmed by your approach so I offered her a different one. It's all good.

I suggest buying a good cookbook that teaches as you learn to cook. I used to recommend Better Homes and Gardens, but I have changed my mind and now suggest Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything.

Welcome to DC! Bittman also has the "How To Cook Everything" app for iPad and Android. Super cheap as I recall. Great cookbook.

Last edited:
My immediate cookbook recommendation is either a Better Homes and Gardens or Betty Crocker (older edition, tif possible) followed immediately with a longer read with ...

The Joy of Cooking / Rambauer- Becker, UK edition. I think the Joy is complex as a first read, and having used multiple recipes from US editons over the years, it becomes more understandable and you find how could I have missed reading this, even though my fingers touched the pages or find things you didn't pick up on the first go-around.

Check these or any cook books at your local bookstore before buying. Do you have a Used bookstore you can look as well?

As has either been mentioned or alluded, you will find multiple opinions on these pages. I think this is one of the hallmarks about DC. You get to
decide what is best/ most workable for you until someone else offers a different idea, and then you go Whoa, and you add that into the equation.

Delia Smith seems popular in the UK. I may have copied some of her recipes, though I don't recall making any yet. She may have an active TV show , Youtubes and cookbooks. Worth checking out.

I may be a wee bit older than you, but I remember watching Two Fat Ladies on PBS in US/ BBC UK Now available full episodes on YouTube. Mention this for our Am friends as well as you. Cooking made fun. On motorcycles.

Start small, think big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am repackaging and preparing meats for the freezer. I get tired of having to stop and write down on each freezer bag with the permanent marker. So even before I start, I cut out the price label and when I have all the meat into the freezer bag. I place the cut out label inside the bag where it can be clearly seen. All the information is right on the label. Weight, Sell by date, (tells me when I bought it.) and other pertinent info. Saves a lot of guessing later on. Each piece of meat is individually wrapped and the label sit on top of the plastic wrap. I place it on the back of the freezer bag so none of the company labeling printing on the front will cover it up.

Of course that doesn't help when I might go up the street to the butcher shop. They cut you meat to order right then and wrap it in butcher paper. But that is very rare. Not in my budget. :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom