Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike1958

Assistant Cook
First post.

I have joined this forum hoping for some proper guidance regarding deep frying.

I am a fisherman and cannot resist deep frying some of my fish in batter. The advice about deep frying seems to change far too frequently.

I used to fry in sunflower oil but read rapeseed oil is better, so now use rapeseed oil. I have occasionally used olive oil when I have run short of other oils. I have mixed it in with the rapeseed oil in the pan. Problem I have found is that it spits uncontrollably and is dangerous to the eyes!

A local DJ on the radio said this morning words to the effect "be in no doubt frying in vegetable oil will kill you". Apparently should be using butter or lard/beef dripping or olive oil.

My preference would be olive oil but I would need to find some olive oil that does not spit all over the kitchen.

Ideas please

Thanks

Mike

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I have to say, I wouldn't change my cooking method for something based on a remark by a random DJ. And I can't imagine deep-frying in butter, so their credibility is even less.

You can use any oil with a high smoke point for deep-frying. Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point and is expensive, so that wouldn't be my choice. I would use canola (rapeseed) or peanut oil.

Hi, Mike, welcome to DC.

Oil shouldn't spit. I'd guess there was some water in the oil that caused your problem. Moisture in oi causes pitting as it climbs past the boiling point (212ºF, 100ºC). Then little droplets of moisture convert to steam and "pop".

The best oils for frying have a high smoke point. Rapeseed oil is fine as are peanut, corn and safflower oils to name a few. I'd go with the least expensive.

When preparing your fish for frying, it should be patted dry before the coating is applied.

Hi, Mike, welcome to DC.

Oil shouldn't spit. I'd guess there was some water in the oil that caused your problem. Moisture in oi causes pitting as it climbs past the boiling point (212ºF, 100ºC). Then little droplets of moisture convert to steam and "pop".

The best oils for frying have a high smoke point. Rapeseed oil is fine as are peanut, corn and safflower oils to name a few. I'd go with the least expensive.

When preparing your fish for frying, it should be patted dry before the coating is applied.

That's the part I always forget until it's too late.

Welcome to DC! I wouldn't use butter or olive oil for deep frying either. Lard seems to be making a comeback. I agree with the previous posts.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies,

The issue for me is, I am led to believe heating oils makes them carcinogenic and as I eat a lot of fried food (deep fried & shallow fried) I try as best I can to choose the healthiest option.

Price is not so much a concern as my health.

I guess whatever oil I fry in I should throw it away every time.

Look forward to more replies.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Welcome to DC.

On a health concern , olive oil remains the best option..... But deep fried food and good health do not really match...if you eat fried food few times a week .
To minimize the bad effects of fat , your oil must be around 350°F to create an "oil proof" crust that avoid you fish to be to soaked with fat. If oil t° is too low , you food will just be soaked in oil.
When ready put the fish on a piece of tissue paper to absorb oil excess.
This method will really avoid eating to much fat.
The main danger of deep frying is when oil temperature rises over 400°F; it creates acroleïne(don't know the english name) ,which is a known cancer generator..

Back
Top Bottom