Hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fincher

Senior Cook
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been active on another chef forum for ages. I'd thought I'd branch out and see what other sites were like. I did some searching around and found this place. Seemed really nice so I thought I'd drop in.

I'm from Georgia but I'm up here cooking in Canada. I was originaly trained in the art and craft of cooking hard knocks way. Though sheer working and apprenticeship. Tired of being passed up for graduates I entered culinary school at the age of 30 at The Culinary Insitute of America. It was a blast. (except for being called Grandpa ;) ) I graduated in 2003, I went in thinking I knew it all, and came out humbled. The more you know the more you realize the little you know. It was a humbling experience,, too bad my alma mater has a reputation for the opposite.

my areas of expertise include brussel sprout lobbing, bacon stretching technology, hydro grease fire extermination, Servatron Ego deflation marksmanship, elementary school gastronomy, and M*A*S*H trivia. :ermm::huh::rolleyes:

Well then welcome to DC and Merry Christmas..
Join in the fun here and you will be welcomed with open arms..No humbling allowed:LOL:

kadesma

Welcome to DC Fincher! That's quite an array of expertise you display there! LOL

(Although the MASH trivia is a bit sad!!! ;-))

Last edited:
MASH is rerun every year on one of our three public commercial channels here. They restarted it again a couple of months ago from the beginning. At least they have now retired The Brady Bunch (although that was only this year).

Hi Fincher and welcome to DC. Wow, a CIA graduate. (I hope your mama taught you that you have to share on the playground because I'm planning on picking your brain.) Also, I hope you'll be willing to post some of your experiences at the CIA and after. There are a number of young people here that are considering that route in life so your stories and comments would be really appreciated. I personally have only recently become acquainted with the kitchen, but I am pretty skilled in grease fire extermination!

Hi Fisher's mom, thanks for the warm welcome!

yeah I'd be happy to share with anyone willing to listen. It was quite a blast!

yeah the grease fire thing was a joke, the other night my head line cook had a pan of duck fat catch on fire he put it in the dish pit and tried hitting it with water. **** thing blew up! fire department had to come. after that I stuck a box of baking powder on the line.. no more water!! ;)

yeah the grease fire thing was a joke, the other night my head line cook had a pan of duck fat catch on fire he put it in the dish pit and tried hitting it with water. **** thing blew up! fire department had to come. after that I stuck a box of baking powder on the line.. no more water!! ;)
This is so true about no water on a grease fire. I learned the hard way, too. Now I have 2 fire extinguishers - one on either side of the stove.

wow 2!?? keep a box of arm and hammer baking soda near as well. Its a good first response tool. Its much easier to clean up, and isn't harmful. if it doesn't work you know you have a fire extinguisher handy.

I do have the baking soda now. GB, one of our mods here, told me about this when I first joined and it's put out the few little flare ups I've had since then. So much easier to clean up then the stuff that comes out of the fire extinguisher. Really, I've learned a lot since joining and don't have nearly as many kitchen disasters as I used to.

Back
Top Bottom