Hello and greetings from Guam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuamDude

Assistant Cook
Hi all, nice community you've got here.

Been cooking for about 20 years and all I've learned is that there's soooo much to learn. Looking forward to educating myself more here.

I love cooking with coconut milk, lemon, local vegetables and leftovers.

I like food photography too.

peace!

Welcome, here you will find recipes, ideas, pictures as well as wonderful embers who love to help. So please find a spot and get comfortable. You've come to the oerfect place.

kadesma:)

Welcome Guamdude! Very interested in hearing about the kinds of foods you prepare on Guam and seeing some of your pictures. My grandfather was stationed in Guam during WWII and he has took some cool pictures while he was there, it looks like a beautiful place to live.

Welcome Guamdude! Very interested in hearing about the kinds of foods you prepare on Guam and seeing some of your pictures. My grandfather was stationed in Guam during WWII and he has took some cool pictures while he was there, it looks like a beautiful place to live.
Hey Toots, methinks you need to see it to believe it. Not much there, really. Lots of Goonie Birds (which are beautiful on the wind, but gangly on land.) :)

Hey Toots, methinks you need to see it to believe it. Not much there, really. Lots of Goonie Birds (which are beautiful on the wind, but gangly on land.) :)

Never seen a goonie bird. Where would I look? And wow, if there isn't much here, I feel very fortunate to keep in touch with the outside world with my lil' ol' puter. :)

I'll post up some images when my account clears.

Well hello GuamDude - I used to live on Guam - back in '68, '69, 70, It was a beautiful, tropical, quaint island back then - MUCH different than it looks now. No building was over 3 stories high. Glad to have you and looking forward to your posts.

Never seen a goonie bird. Where would I look? And wow, if there isn't much here, I feel very fortunate to keep in touch with the outside world with my lil' ol' puter. :)

I'll post up some images when my account clears.
Well, I haven't been there since '60 and '61 when I was in the U.S.Navy. It wasn't much then, but I actually loved all the Albatroses on the little, flat island. You should see those big birds on the wing out on the ocean. Awesome.

Welcome again, and I too look forward to your pictures.

It wasn't much then

I was too young to realize there was nothing to do there. BUT, what I loved each and every day was snorkeling, diving, watching the MOST beautiful sunset, and enjoying the "tropical life". I loved it all except for the shrews and the geckos - eventually you just name the geckos and get over it as they aren't leaving your house! :ermm: But the shrews? Naw...I couldn't stand them!!!

Please share some local recipies!! I have a dear friend who graduated high school on Guam, he makes this very strange "Guam Chicken" or sometimes "Pinoy Chicken" and we, and the neighbors love it with "Red Rice"

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Please share some local recipies!! I have a dear friend who graduated high school on Guam, he makes this very strange "Guam Chicken" or sometimes "Pinoy Chicken" and we, and the neighbors love it with "Red Rice"

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Eric,

See if this is close.

I am looking forward to some recipes too! We used to hike to Talafofo Falls which included some back yards back then - no walkways or paths then. If someone was having a Fiesta on our way back we were ALWAYS invited to stop and eat - they insisted!!!!

Hi everybody and thanks for the warm greetings.

Elf, Giggler, that recipe is a good one. My version of red rice is extremely similar, but I render a few strips of bacon instead of using olive oil, then sautee the onions in the liquid beauty for a bit. Also for this red rice recipe, I'd add a teaspoon of black pepper.

Regarding the chicken marinade, the ingredients are fine, although mine includes a can of budweiser. the procedure is off, as it doesn't state to use medium-low direct heat. It also says the breasts will take longer and that's not the case. If you've got a hot spot on your grill, I'd finish off the chicken 2-3 minutes per side there to get a carmel-like crisp on the skin.

And for the finadene, I'd smash the peppers to start the recipe -- but that's because I have a "pika" tongue (preference for extreme spice).

Thanks for being interested in the food of my area.

Back
Top Bottom