"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Btw, I started designing websites, including SEO, in the mid '90s.
Old skool! The oldest browser I ever had to worry about was Netscape 4.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-wasting-food View Post
...I'm registering here in the hope that when the time comes, you'll all be able to help me out by completing a short questionnaire. I've not created it yet but assuming you're all keen cooks , I've hopefully come to the right place!
Hi stop. I've been reading along, but now I want to comment after your reply to Got Garlic about Netscape. Netscape (and Edge and Chrome) IS a browser, but it is not an SEO. My favorite line from the linked article is "If you are sitting in your car, the browser would be your windshield and the steering wheel would be the search engine."

You say your purpose in joining Discuss Cooking is "...in the hope that when the time comes, you'll all be able to help me out by completing a short questionnaire...". This implies that you joined up to fulfill a need for a project? I suppose that you didn't take the time to read Da Rules:

NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest.
Do not use posts to promote your blog, videos, surveys or contests. You may place a single link in your signature to a noncommercial blog.

I'm surprised that a moderator hasn't shown you the way to the door by now...

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:16 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Probably because I haven't shared an affiliate link or directing anybody to another site or any commercial site of interest. I'm sure a moderator will have seen this and thought they'd help somebody who's doing something for a project. They also probably appreciate my openness from the start instead of starting a thread saying "what do you consider the key features of a cooking website to be?"

I'm well aware of the difference between a browser and what SEO is. I'd even go as far as saying that calling it "an SEO" demonstrates your knowledge on the subject. You'll see GotGarlic questioned my age and referenced website design - my reference to Netscape 4 was a more subtle reference to those 2 things.

But thank you for popping by. It's nice to establish the people that are here to help others and those that aren't.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #34
Master Chef

I can be helpful when appropriate. However, I've been cooking since I was 12, have never had trouble repurposing leftovers, and throw almost no food items out. Therfore, I don't have a need for your proposed...whatever, and cannot come up with any suggestions.

I know a kernel about IT - I've been married to an IT guy for possibly longer than you've been alive. 😉

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I wish the world had more cooks like you! I suspect I don't need to share any stats on food waste but they're incredible. If my contribution helps, even a little then I'll have done a good thing!

I've been alive for a lot longer than you might expect - I'm certainly not 22!! I'm doing another masters because I enjoy learning and get bored quickly.

I've contacted admins about my questionnaire so there's still time for me to get deleted
Old 09-09-2017, 04:12 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

[QUOTE=Cooking Goddess;1525263]"If you are sitting in your car, the browser would be your windshield and the steering wheel would be the search engine."/QUOTE]

This is an interesting analogy. I'd say SEO was more like your Sat Nav. It's dependant upon your input, doesn't always get it right and can be frustrating. It can also save you an incredible amount of time and energy.

« New member | Hello! »