Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How things change

Welcome for an expat Jerseyan now in "Paradise"!

Quicksilver,

When people ask where I grew up, I tell them with lots of teasing in my voice, "I'm an escapee from NJ". I live on the Upper East Side on a lovely tree lined street near Central Park. I love it, but when I visit my mom or my sisters in NJ, I do so love having a private backyard with a pool and a deck where I can enjoy my morning coffee. Sure I can get a Starbucks on my way to the park, but then I have to be showered, hair done and make up on - NJ is more relaxed! But when I hear about all the yard work and what it takes to keep up the pools, I'm thrilled to have 843 acres of park only two block away that I don't have to mow, weed, rake, etc!

If I didn't have an eat in kitchen I might hate being in an apartment, but this "apartment" is bigger than the first condo I had with my ex in NJ! Now that the kids are older and we have an "empty" nest most of the time, I like not having a big house and all it up keep. Hubby will never leave NY, so as long I decide to keep him, I'll be here - LOL

Stacy
NY,NY

Last edited:
Life is what you make it!

If I could transport most of the world I had up there down here, this truly would be "Paradise". But for now my paradise is in my head! LOL!

That's so funny - I have serious thoughts of Fl when we have winters like this one! Having driven route 4 in Fl many times, I don't think I'd enjoy living there! I do love visiting and can't wait for my best friend to buy his house in St Augustine, then I'll have a place to visit when I need to see sun in the winter! My arthritis hates the damp winter weather like we're having today and of course today is one of the few days I have to go to work. Hours on my feet in this weather leaves me in pain, but I do so love being at the store!! I enjoy helping people learn to cook. I have regular customers that wait for my shifts to discuss their next project or their special diet needs etc.

My first degree was a dual program for nutrition and culinary - I changed majors just before I graduated because I realized it wouldn't work with the situation I has then. I was in the middle of a divorce, my youngest was a year old and with that degree I'd be working odd hours, nights, weekends etc. I didn't want any more issues with custody. So I switched to business and Political science. I graduated and went to work on Wall Street. I waited 9 months and the company paid for me to get my masters in Information Management. I was a project manager in software development till just before 9/11 when I got sick. Sometimes life takes you full circle - I grew up in the food business and now I'm back in that area, but not in food production.

Where up here did you live?

Stacy

Don't measure all Fl. by Rt. 4. That's the worst conjested area of Fl. And St Augustine is still too cold. I'm about 800 miles southwest of Jacksonville.
In Jersey I grew up and lived most of my life in Essex County.
Alittle time in Union and Passaic Counties.
You'll see in checking out all the good posts here what I most miss is the food. Then the beaches/boardwalks, the old houses - wood; everything is stucco here, and the geography; everything is flat here. (I miss the South Mountain Reservation)
Plus + minuses to everywhere.
Your career paths do sound interesting.

life's highway

Don't measure all Fl. by Rt. 4. That's the worst conjested area of Fl.
Plus + minuses to everywhere.
Your career paths do sound interesting.

LOL - My life's journey certainly can't be measured by a straight line. I'm a lot of things but boring isn't one of them!!

I think a flat landscape would be a the death of me even if I complain when I'm walking up the hill to my home from the East River. I can't eat out much due to the celiac disease and other food allergies, but I can get all the best raw ingredients close to the house.

I have often thought that Florida would be nice - but then I remember the few times I was there in August!

Stacy
NY,NY

Welcome and Interests

welcome Stacey ;o)
It seems that we could switch this forum to a photographer's soon ;o))
Cara,

Oh my - did I/we hijack the welcome area - so sorry! Food Photography is a big issue for cooking contests, blogs, even self published cookbooks and this forum may be a good place to announce my interests, but I didn't mean to get things off track!

Stacy
NY,NY

Welcome to the DC ! It's my pleasure to be here and hope to me for have a great here.I am too curious about recipies so let's talk more about cooking concepts.

Welcome James

Welcome to the DC ! It's my pleasure to be here and hope to me for have a great here.I am too curious about recipies so let's talk more about cooking concepts.

Hi James,

Welcome to DC. I'm sure you will find the people here to be very friendly and helpful. There is a whole forum for cooking contests - see you there!!

Stacy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom