"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_maris View Post
Hello!
Growing up in a family of farmers, I've always had an interest in food. Many of my childhood memories involve cooking in some way. We always had good home made food from fresh ingredients, very often home grown.
Welcome from Italy, Stella_maris

I hope you will share with us some recipes for that "good home made food"

Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Well, as I am Dutch I'm not sure if you would like those dishes, the Italians that I've met in the Netherlands were all not so impressed with our local cuisine ;) I remember a Italian university friend who called our food 'barbaric' ....

One of the most popular dishes in here, served as a cold side dish with a meal or BBQ, is called koude schotel (literally: cold dish). Here's a picture: http://www.yummyinmytummy.nl/images/dsc_01125.jpg (not my picture)
Every family has its own recipe and my aunt's recipe is the best I've ever had. It's made from the meat that's leftover from making broth, potatoes, mayonaise and all kinds of vegetables and herbs. We put it on a large plate and decorating it is an art in itself. Some people make shapes, decorate with vegetables, eggs, fish ... We love it in here, but foreign people are always a bit scared of trying it. It tastes better than it looks.

Other classics include pea soup, potato soup, leek soup, rabbit stew, hot bread rolls with meat, pancakes with bacon or cherries. Sweet dishes are apple pie, Bossche bollen (tennis ball sized cream puffs, filled with whipped cream and covered entirely with a chocolate layer) rice pudding and rice cookies, sugar bread and olie- and appelbollen (known in English known as Dutch donuts, sometimes filled with apple or cherries)

Lots of old fashioned comfort food. I guess a lot of them are acquired tastes, but most people will certainly like the sweet dishes. I'll translate some recipes of those later on. I still frequently eat most of these foods, although some of them are a lot of work. The rabbit stew is a bit difficult though, as I live in the city it would be a little difficult for me to go on hunt :)

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Well, as I am Dutch I'm not sure if you would like those dishes, the Italians that I've met in the Netherlands were all not so impressed with our local cuisine ;) I remember a Italian university friend who called our food 'barbaric' ....

One of the most popular dishes in here, served as a cold side dish with a meal or BBQ, is called koude schotel (literally: cold dish). Here's a picture: http://www.yummyinmytummy.nl/images/dsc_01125.jpg (not my picture)
Every family has its own recipe and my aunt's recipe is the best I've ever had. It's made from the meat that's leftover from making broth, potatoes, mayonaise and all kinds of vegetables and herbs. We put it on a large plate and decorating it is an art in itself. Some people make shapes, decorate with vegetables, eggs, fish ... We love it in here, but foreign people are always a bit scared of trying it. It tastes better than it looks.

Other classics include pea soup, potato soup, leek soup, rabbit stew, hot bread rolls with meat, pancakes with bacon or cherries. Sweet dishes are apple pie, Bossche bollen (tennis ball sized cream puffs, filled with whipped cream and covered entirely with a chocolate layer) rice pudding and rice cookies, sugar bread and olie- and appelbollen (known in English known as Dutch donuts, sometimes filled with apple or cherries)

Lots of old fashioned comfort food. I guess a lot of them are acquired tastes, but most people will certainly like the sweet dishes. I'll translate some recipes of those later on. I still frequently eat most of these foods, although some of them are a lot of work. The rabbit stew is a bit difficult though, as I live in the city it would be a little difficult for me to go on hunt :)
Mayonnaise and horseradish (Mierikswortel) go well together.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
I know, we travel across the world, and when we get back in Italy the main thing we discuss is always how ugly the cuisine of xxxxx (insert country name) was, and how disgusting the coffe made in xxxxxx (insert country) was. And when we get back we eat at once one ton of pasta.
I must admit that I used the adjective "barbarian" a couple of times in my posts here on DC...

Quote:
koude schotel
pea soup, potato soup, leek soup, rabbit stew, hot bread rolls with meat, pancakes with bacon or cherries. Sweet dishes are apple pie, Bossche bollen (tennis ball sized cream puffs, filled with whipped cream and covered entirely with a chocolate layer) rice pudding and rice cookies, sugar bread and olie- and appelbollen (known in English known as Dutch donuts, sometimes filled with apple or cherries)
I'm waiting! I especially like the idea of a rabbit stew