Hello everyone...new to DC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lean Pocket

Assistant Cook
Just joined this evening and loving the forum. I am 26, from NW North Carolina and have caught the cooking fever in the past few years. My boyfriend is always on Audi forums and I told him to find me a good forum I could explore and learn more about cooking, etc. Looking forward to learning from everyone and assisting when I can. :chef:

Just joined this evening and loving the forum. I am 26, from NW North Carolina and have caught the cooking fever in the past few years. My boyfriend is always on Audi forums and I told him to find me a good forum I could explore and learn more about cooking, etc. Looking forward to learning from everyone and assisting when I can. :chef:

Welcome to DC! It's a fun place with nice people.

Welcome hotpocket :LOL: just kidding... You will learn a lot here as well as having fun!!! Happy to have you in our family... :):):)

KathleenA, I was just searching for a good way to bake sweet potato fries, and saw some comments from you on the thread I found! Have you baked them successfully? My daughter loves sweet potatoes, but when I tried baking hand-cut fries, they were soggy and burnt...strange combo.

I enjoy trying anything! I love crock pot recipes, like soups, bbq chicken, and chili because I work 40 hours a week and want dinner quick some evenings! I also enjoy baking cookies. I make Italian and Mexican dishes a lot because they are favorites around my house. I think my best recipe is a huge "lean pocket" I make with reduced fat crescent rolls, broccoli, chicken breasts, garlic, onion, a little mayo, and cheese. It is so simple. I will have to post the recipe! :)

Last edited:
My grandmother made wonderful sweet potato fries. She had a french fry cutter that would slice them into pieces about 1/3 inch in sticks and fried them. I toss mine with oil (usually olive) and bake them at 450 on parchment paper. Turn them every 10 minutes until they are done and browned a bit. When they come out of the oven, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then let them rest for about 10 minutes otherwise they are a bit mushy.

Like Grandma, I love to dip them in fruit vinegar or a bit of maple syrup. Oh, my grandmother peeled hers. I've had them with the peel on, which is fine if they are garden-fresh. Otherwise, peel them.

Try the high heat, parchment paper and turning them until brown. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes to get them done for me.

Hmm...cinnamon is also yummy if dipping in maple syrup. :)

Last edited:
Thanks KathleenA! I will try that. I love cinnamon and sugar on them, and a little salt. I read on that other post that a restaurant in FL serves them with horsey sauce. Interesting. Might even try that to see what it's like! Have a good evening.

Thanks KathleenA! I will try that. I love cinnamon and sugar on them, and a little salt. I read on that other post that a restaurant in FL serves them with horsey sauce. Interesting. Might even try that to see what it's like! Have a good evening.

Don't add it until the end! Let us know how it turns out. Good night!

Huh??? What the heck is horsey sauce??? I'm from florida and have never heard of it... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

It's a mayo based dressing for sandwiches that has horseradish added.

Yes, it is most common at Arby's, and my main reason for going there sometimes. You can also buy it in the deli at most grocery stores. Adds a little tang to a sandwich!

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!! So nice. Happy Valentine's Day :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom