"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Hello fellow foodies

Just signed up, looks like a good place to talk food.

A little of my history.
I've been cooking for a long time. Started in my childhood. I've always felt at home in a kitchen and never feared it. It's like second nature to me. I don't know everything about cooking but I believe there's nothing I can't do.

I started in fast food as a teen. Not something I really enjoyed but I was quite good at it. Fast and accurate.

I didn't take cooking very seriously until I was about 21. In my accounting class, the teacher was talking about being employed and how a good employee could work anywhere in the mall for instance. Once established as a good employee any store would hire that person. I thought about that and being a cook.

I got a new job as a line cook. A step up from my burger flipping. I learned every station on that line and eventually it came down to me learning the wheel. The guy who ran the line. The manager nervously watched and almost stepped in A couple times my first night. He never did, I ran it fine and continued.

I left that job for a new line position at a higher end restaurant on a golf course. That place really tested me, constantly dealing with problems. I learned that kitchen in and out and left after 5 years as the sous chef/assistant kitchen manager. We did banquets galore, ran buffets on Thanksgiving and Easter to the tune of 700 people in about 7 hours. Graduation parties for the nearby college. It was an incredible learning experience. The most stressful cooking I've ever done. Not just because of the volume but because of how poorly the owner ran the place.

The place was insane and my health improved after I left.

Now I just cook for myself, friends and family. I've always been a foodie. I eat out a lot as well. I've eaten at just about every place in town and I will travel for food.

I'm a detailed person and am v critical of any food. Whether it's mine or I'm eating out. The last few years it seems I'm more disappointed in food at restaurants. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. My friends will tell you no matter what I make, how much they like it, there is always something I will nitpick.

What I lack in cooking is my diversity. I eat the same stuff too much and I don't step out and try new stuff that often.

__________________

strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,806
Welcome to DC.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Florida
Posts: 399
Hi Scott, welcome, you sound like you will be a great addition to this site. I have only been back a short time myself, getting to know everyone again.

DH and I love diversity. We don't develop too many recipes ourselves, because I have been collecting recipes for many years and like to try them. You want diversity, I sure can help you there. Just point me in the right direction and tell me what you like and dislike. Till then.
cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,849
Hi Scott, and welcome to DC. I loved hearing about your interesting background and thank you for that. You'll fit in very well here and it's a fun place to play and hang out.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,735
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome to DC Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Scott, and welcome to DC. I loved hearing about your interesting background and thank you for that. You'll fit in very well here and it's a fun place to play and hang out.
What she said.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,067
Welcome to the forum!

What they said ^ x3!
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 9,964
A big welcome to DC!
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
...I'm a detailed person and am v critical of any food. Whether it's mine or I'm eating out. The last few years it seems I'm more disappointed in food at restaurants...
Welcome, scott. You might be my brother from another mother, but it's not likely. You show "Michigan" as your location. While I live in Massachusetts, I'm a Buckeye to my bones. But I'm with you on restaurant food. I think being here at DC has sharpened my cooking skills because of suggestions from other members. I hope you enjoy your time here, too.
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,254
Welcome! Back in the '80's a bunch of my friends suggested that I open a seafood restaurant after eating several dishes I served them. Already having experience working 80 hours a week, the prospect of working more didn't appeal to me.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Cook
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: edinburgh
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Just signed up, looks like a good place to talk food.

A little of my history.
I've been cooking for a long time. Started in my childhood. I've always felt at home in a kitchen and never feared it. It's like second nature to me. I don't know everything about cooking but I believe there's nothing I can't do.

I started in fast food as a teen. Not something I really enjoyed but I was quite good at it. Fast and accurate.

I didn't take cooking very seriously until I was about 21. In my accounting class, the teacher was talking about being employed and how a good employee could work anywhere in the mall for instance. Once established as a good employee any store would hire that person. I thought about that and being a cook.

I got a new job as a line cook. A step up from my burger flipping. I learned every station on that line and eventually it came down to me learning the wheel. The guy who ran the line. The manager nervously watched and almost stepped in A couple times my first night. He never did, I ran it fine and continued.

I left that job for a new line position at a higher end restaurant on a golf course. That place really tested me, constantly dealing with problems. I learned that kitchen in and out and left after 5 years as the sous chef/assistant kitchen manager. We did banquets galore, ran buffets on Thanksgiving and Easter to the tune of 700 people in about 7 hours. Graduation parties for the nearby college. It was an incredible learning experience. The most stressful cooking I've ever done. Not just because of the volume but because of how poorly the owner ran the place.

The place was insane and my health improved after I left.

Now I just cook for myself, friends and family. I've always been a foodie. I eat out a lot as well. I've eaten at just about every place in town and I will travel for food.

I'm a detailed person and am v critical of any food. Whether it's mine or I'm eating out. The last few years it seems I'm more disappointed in food at restaurants. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. My friends will tell you no matter what I make, how much they like it, there is always something I will nitpick.

What I lack in cooking is my diversity. I eat the same stuff too much and I don't step out and try new stuff that often.

You are on good platform...
__________________
My Favourite Place
kenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,382
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Welcome! Back in the '80's a bunch of my friends suggested that I open a seafood restaurant after eating several dishes I served them. Already having experience working 80 hours a week, the prospect of working more didn't appeal to me.
I really gave long thought to opening a restaurant about 6 years ago. Two things held me back, first working 80+ hours a week, working everyday of the week and having to buy my own health insurance. If I had the same opportunity 25 years ago, probably would have.
__________________

strmanglr scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×