"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #31
Master Chef

They only here to extract info and ideas for their blogs.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 PM   #32
Master Chef

They're ^^^^

Old 06-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #33
Master Chef

I'm sure you're right now that I think of it RF. A "thank you" for your input would have been nice, although unusual.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
According to profile stats, the OP's last activity here was 10 minutes after that post. So, the OP may have read the replies without logging in, but hasn't bothered to log in since the post.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #35
Master Chef

I remember reading the ingredient lest on Velveeta about 50 years back, and it had cheddar, swiss, and another cheese that I can't remember, and was mixed together with milk, and an emulsifier. It was reall cheese, just made softer with the milk.

I've made my own Velveeta style cheese using milk, Extra sharp Cheddar, Swiss, and either Monterey Jack, or Havarti. The end result could be made like Cheese Wiz, or Velveeta, depending on how much milk is added. A little mustard adds flavor depth, and helps emulsify the fat as well.

As for cheese sauces, I always bring the milk to a simmer, then remove from heat and add the shredded cheese of choice for what I'm making. I never use pre-shredded cheese. I alway grate my own, fine. The sauce comes out silky smooth every time.

Favorite Velveeta recipe from childhood, french toast made with egg wash that contains sugar and cinnamon, cooked two pieces at a time, one flipped, with Velveeta slices placed on top of the cooked side, then take the 2nd piece and put in cooked side in, on top of the first piece. Finish like grilled cheese. Serve with breakfast sausage and syrup, and a tall glass of cold, whole milk.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Hi there

Sorry for going MIA everyone-- ended up locking up my computer a few days ago and am just now going through all of your fantastic replies. If anyone wouldn't mind being quoted for the piece, could you let me know?

Thanks so much!

Ashlie
Old 06-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlieStevens View Post
Sorry for going MIA everyone-- ended up locking up my computer a few days ago and am just now going through all of your fantastic replies. If anyone wouldn't mind being quoted for the piece, could you let me know?

Thanks so much!

Ashlie
I don't think quoting people like me will do much to solidify your reputation as a credible food writer.

Good luck with your project.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
In all of the years of cooking professionally, and eating I have never eaten or even used Velveeta. Is it basically a firmer cheese whiz?
Sort of. Growing up, my cousins always brought Cheese Whiz to the cabin and ate it on toast. They ate Velveeta and pickle sandwiches. I find it is very salty. I haven't have Velveeta in years. It is much less expensive in the US than it is here.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mom always insisted on cooking with Cheez Whiz, she felt it had a richer flavor than Velveeta, though we always had some of each. Both were included in the groceries we'd bring up from the states for our summers spent on Lake of the Woods in Ontario.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #40
Master Chef

On our recent trip to Philadelphia, we enjoyed what many call the only authentic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich that needs to include Cheese Whiz. Along with the grilled onions, grilled sweet red bell pepper strips were included, and it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten in my whole life!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food