"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sadly, we missed that place when we were last in Philly, but I've heard of those sandwiches.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I was born and raised in the heart of Wisconsin dairy country, so Velveeta, along with any Kraft Singles type things, weren't really foods sought out when I was growing up. We used to call these products "plastic cheese" when we would see them on store shelves.

That said, my mom wasn't above using Velveeta in the holiday green bean casserole, because it had good melting properties. She also used to make a zucchini dish called "Zia Casserole" that came (I believe) from a church cookbook. I always loved that dish, and haven't been able to find it again since. But as I recall, it included evaporated milk, Velveeta, zucchini, onion, and bread crumbs. Sort of a zucchini gratin in a cheese sauce. Yummy stuff. It was also one of the few veggie sides my little brother (Mr. I-Hate-Vegetables) would devour.

I have always thought that recipe would be wonderful remade with Parmesan and sharp Cheddar, but thinking about it is as close as I have ever come to to actually remaking it. You've just made me think it might be worth a go, though.
Love this story-- absolutely lovely. Reminds me of my mom's mom-- she was from WV and that was the way she always made casserole (any casserole) for the holidays.

Mind if I quote you on this?

Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
You know, I kind of like when someone comes in and "stirs up the pot a little", and I mean that in a totally positive way

The OP hasn't been back, or at least hasn't posted, but this has brought on a great discussion among members about a pretty mundane topic - Velveeta.

I still like the Velveeta Deluxe Kraft Dinner once in awhile, but it fills my craving for "nasty junk food" and I don't need it for at least a year!

We have been looking after some young kids over the last year and I have been buying things I wouldn't normally for us - Cheese Whiz, ketchup and Kraft Peanut Butter. We eat mostly organic and the kids don't like my homemade ketchup or the natural PB I have made at the organic store! They want the REAL stuff

"The REAL stuff"-- that cracks me up! Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I don't eat processed food. I do test drive recipes for a company, but the focus is on local produce, organic, and real food. However, there a lot of DCers who do cook using the ingredients about which you blog and you will get great input from them.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:25 AM   #45
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlieStevens View Post
Love this story-- absolutely lovely. Reminds me of my mom's mom-- she was from WV and that was the way she always made casserole (any casserole) for the holidays.

Mind if I quote you on this?
Thank you and, yes, of course you can quote me.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #46
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshlieStevens View Post
"The REAL stuff"-- that cracks me up! Thanks for sharing your story!
No Problem, I love telling them!

I do remember my Mom buying a block of Velveeta when I was young. I think it was fairly new on the market (at least here in Canada). She made me a sandwich with it for school and in those days the lunch kits weren't thermal so everything got warm. When I went to eat it the cheese oozed out all over the place. It was great but everyone was laughing. They asked what it was and soon several of my friends were bringing Velveeta sandwiches to school.

Oh, and I am glad to see you back. My comment was not a negative one. I do like when people get us going on topics like this. It is a lot of what DC is about!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #47
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Welcome to DC! I don't eat processed food. I do test drive recipes for a company, but the focus is on local produce, organic, and real food. However, there a lot of DCers who do cook using the ingredients about which you blog and you will get great input from them.

Thank you so much-- happy to be here!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #48
Head Chef

I just got back from the store.
Velveta was on sale so I bought a block.

It's not a cheese you'd have with crackers or a good wine but it has it's uses.

I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale but since it was I couldn't resist.

For some things it's the taste I seek.

Perhaps it's nostalgia I seek.

I love a good grilled cheese sandwich and Mac & Cheese made with other cheeses but there is just something about those 2 dish's made with Velveeta that set them apart.

And it is helpful for quick & easy cheese sauces. Adding other cheeses to the sauce changes it away from the "Velveeta" taste some dislike.

IMHO it's not a cheese to serve without heating it up.
I wouldn't put it in a sandwich without grilling it or toss it in a salad but melted it's good stuff.

What the heck. Here are a few pics. Ingredients and recipes included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250 - Copy.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	23045   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0249 - Copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	23046  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248 - Copy.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	23047  
Old 06-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Contains less than 2% salt. Well, I should hope so.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
I just got back from the store.
Velveta was on sale so I bought a block.

It's not a cheese you'd have with crackers or a good wine but it has it's uses.

I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale but since it was I couldn't resist.

For some things it's the taste I seek.

Perhaps it's nostalgia I seek.

I love a good grilled cheese sandwich and Mac & Cheese made with other cheeses but there is just something about those 2 dish's made with Velveeta that set them apart.

And it is helpful for quick & easy cheese sauces. Adding other cheeses to the sauce changes it away from the "Velveeta" taste some dislike.

IMHO it's not a cheese to serve without heating it up.
I wouldn't put it in a sandwich without grilling it or toss it in a salad but melted it's good stuff.

What the heck. Here are a few pics. Ingredients and recipes included.
From the recipes, it seems that it is meant to heat up-- I hadn't thought about broccoli and cheese soup! Thanks for including those photos.

Tags
food