Hello From A Food Writer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Government cheese in the mid-West (a friend was on WIC? program, I think that's what it was called) was definitely not Velveeta nor anything closely resembling it. It was 100% real cheese.

No this was not the WIC program. The WIC program was not in force when my kids were small. It was called the Government Surplus Program. It was in the late 50's early 60's. The more milk, and other products the farmers produced, left them with a surplus. So the government would buy the surplus and give it out to those on welfare or qualified in other required qualifications. The farmers were paid handsomely and received a nice check. So the next year they would even produce even a larger quantity of their products that they were farming. If 40 cows gave this much milk that the Govt. would pay for and turn it into powdered milk, then the farmer should get a check twice as big if he had 100 cows. And every year the recipients would get an increase also. What they didn't give directly to the public, they gave to the schools. Along with other organizations that fed the public. With four kids needing milk each day, I would mix up a quart of powdered milk and mix it with a 1/2 gal. of regular whole milk. You got five pounds of flour, bulger, powdered eggs, and cornmeal each month. Also, a can of shredded beef, pork beans, and other stuff. All total you got three or more five pound bags of dry goods. Two large cereal size boxes of powdered milk, and about six-eight cans of different meats. One of the cans was a whole cooked chicken. Great for chicken salad for school lunches. We also got peanut butter and jelly. Most of the foods were directed for a balanced diet for children.

To get the stuff home, you needed a cart or car. Some kids were smart and brought their carts and wagons there and stood outside to take the stuff for those who were trying to carry it themselves. Pretty little pennies they earned. I always had a baby carriage that I could put it in. By the time the baby had out grown it, I no longer qualified for the food. But the funny part was at that time, my husband went out to sea as a chef on a cargo ship. Now merchant marines come under the department of health and the General Surgeon's office. (Or whatever his title was.) So my husband is overlooking the loading food for the boat and here comes a huge supply of Government Surplus Food.

Eventually, the government caught on to what the farmer were doing each yea and cut way back on the products. And the receiving public also was cut back on the amount they received until the program came to an end. :angel:

Like Dawgluver, I will use Velveeta as the cheese in a broccoli or cauliflower soup. Because it melts nice, I have also been know to toss a few chunks into a bowl of leftover broccoli. Reheated leftover broccoli NEEDS the Velveeta to glue it all together!

When the government used to give out surplus foods, that cheese in five pound blocks was one of the items...
Addie, I think "that cheese" was an American Cheese type food, not Velveeta. It was firmer than Velveeta. I know, because my Dad used to embarrass my Mom beyond belief by going up to the local middle school to get his 5# block of "government cheese". Drove my Mom crazy because we weren't really "needy", but Dad thought it would help. He finally stopped under penalty of death! :ROFLMAO:

Like Dawgluver, I will use Velveeta as the cheese in a broccoli or cauliflower soup. Because it melts nice, I have also been know to toss a few chunks into a bowl of leftover broccoli. Reheated leftover broccoli NEEDS the Velveeta to glue it all together!

Addie, I think "that cheese" was an American Cheese type food, not Velveeta. It was firmer than Velveeta. I know, because my Dad used to embarrass my Mom beyond belief by going up to the local middle school to get his 5# block of "government cheese". Drove my Mom crazy because we weren't really "needy", but Dad thought it would help. He finally stopped under penalty of death! :ROFLMAO:

I got curious and looked up the Government Food Surplus program. It is still going strong. Being seniors we qualify for it. I think the only thing I would want is the flour and five pounds of butter. The butter was really delicious.

I'd say your father was very smart to get the cheese. The government just wants to get rid of it. :angel:

You know, I kind of like when someone comes in and "stirs up the pot a little", and I mean that in a totally positive way :)

The OP hasn't been back, or at least hasn't posted, but this has brought on a great discussion among members about a pretty mundane topic - Velveeta.

I still like the Velveeta Deluxe Kraft Dinner once in awhile, but it fills my craving for "nasty junk food" and I don't need it for at least a year! :LOL:

We have been looking after some young kids over the last year and I have been buying things I wouldn't normally for us - Cheese Whiz, ketchup and Kraft Peanut Butter. We eat mostly organic and the kids don't like my homemade ketchup or the natural PB I have made at the organic store! They want the REAL stuff :ROFLMAO:

That's true CG....it most definitely was not a cheese "product" like Velveeta. My parents also received it, although they also were against getting anything for free no matter what! The management of their senior Mobile Home park regularly delivered it to each doorstep in the park. They could never use all that cheese and they gave me their leftovers. As a young bride in the '60's I was glad to get it. It was very good cheese.

Last edited:
The process of making Velveeta isn't all that different from making traditional cheese, or the recipe from Modernist Cuisine.

http://discovermagazine.com/2011/sep/16-the-secret-of-velveeta-how-cheese-food-is-made

Several years ago, we got into making cheese dip by melting Velveeta and salsa together. Almost every night one winter :ermm: We've had to cut back :LOL:

A master gardener friend made white chicken chili with Velveeta for a potluck. It was delicious :yum:

Velveeta isn't actually cheese. It's "Pasteurized Recipe Cheese Product". It doesn't contain cheese, but does have milk solids, etc. Because of that, it melts beautifully, unlike real cheese, which separates into fat & solids when too much heat is applied.

Traditional cheese doesn't "contain" cheese, either, because it *is* cheese. It contains milk, an acid and usually salt. To make melty cheese, Kraft adds sodium citrate or another salt, just like the Modernist Cuisine recipe.

Velveeta is called cheese product because of the FDA's specifications for milk and moisture content in traditional cheese. It is not something alien.

Last edited:
Traditional cheese doesn't "contain" cheese, either, because it *is* cheese. It contains milk, an acid and usually salt. To make melty cheese, Kraft adds calcium citrate or another salt, just like the Modernist Cuisine recipe.

Velveeta is called cheese product because of the FDA's specifications for milk and moisture content in traditional cheese. It's is not something alien.

+1. How's come I couldn't put that into words? ;) Perfect!

According to profile stats, the OP's last activity here was 10 minutes after that post. So, the OP may have read the replies without logging in, but hasn't bothered to log in since the post.

I remember reading the ingredient lest on Velveeta about 50 years back, and it had cheddar, swiss, and another cheese that I can't remember, and was mixed together with milk, and an emulsifier. It was reall cheese, just made softer with the milk.

I've made my own Velveeta style cheese using milk, Extra sharp Cheddar, Swiss, and either Monterey Jack, or Havarti. The end result could be made like Cheese Wiz, or Velveeta, depending on how much milk is added. A little mustard adds flavor depth, and helps emulsify the fat as well.

As for cheese sauces, I always bring the milk to a simmer, then remove from heat and add the shredded cheese of choice for what I'm making. I never use pre-shredded cheese. I alway grate my own, fine. The sauce comes out silky smooth every time.

Favorite Velveeta recipe from childhood, french toast made with egg wash that contains sugar and cinnamon, cooked two pieces at a time, one flipped, with Velveeta slices placed on top of the cooked side, then take the 2nd piece and put in cooked side in, on top of the first piece. Finish like grilled cheese. Serve with breakfast sausage and syrup, and a tall glass of cold, whole milk.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hi there

Sorry for going MIA everyone-- ended up locking up my computer a few days ago and am just now going through all of your fantastic replies. If anyone wouldn't mind being quoted for the piece, could you let me know?

Thanks so much!

Ashlie

Sorry for going MIA everyone-- ended up locking up my computer a few days ago and am just now going through all of your fantastic replies. If anyone wouldn't mind being quoted for the piece, could you let me know?

Thanks so much!

Ashlie

I don't think quoting people like me will do much to solidify your reputation as a credible food writer. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck with your project.

In all of the years of cooking professionally, and eating I have never eaten or even used Velveeta. Is it basically a firmer cheese whiz?
Sort of. Growing up, my cousins always brought Cheese Whiz to the cabin and ate it on toast. They ate Velveeta and pickle sandwiches. I find it is very salty. I haven't have Velveeta in years. It is much less expensive in the US than it is here.

My mom always insisted on cooking with Cheez Whiz, she felt it had a richer flavor than Velveeta, though we always had some of each. Both were included in the groceries we'd bring up from the states for our summers spent on Lake of the Woods in Ontario.

On our recent trip to Philadelphia, we enjoyed what many call the only authentic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich that needs to include Cheese Whiz. Along with the grilled onions, grilled sweet red bell pepper strips were included, and it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten in my whole life!

Back
Top Bottom