"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello From A Food Writer

Hi everyone-- my name is Ashlie Stevens. I am a writer working on a piece for Paste Magazine (I hope this is okay to share in the group? If not, I will gladly delete!) about recipes people grew up eating that incorporated Velveeta cheese, and how people are modifying those recipes now using different cheese or even making homemade Velveeta. If you have a favorite recipe or memory of a recipe that fits this theme, I'd love to hear from you and ask you a few questions for this piece! Thank you!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Ashlie and welcome.

You will find some here who love Velveeta, and those who think it's vile, to put it nicely.

Personally, I don't use it often but have nothing against it either. It's melting qualities are outstanding in my opinion.

What questions do you want to ask?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hello From A Food Writer

Welcome to DC.

I'm in the Velveeta fan corner. I get the low fat version, and find it makes a great base for cauliflower or broccoli cheese soup, as well as vegetable sauces. I usually add additional cheeses along with other ingredients. I too love Velveeta's melting qualities.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
Head Chef

I have to agree with the above. Due to its melting qualities, its often one of the cheese of choice for me to create a nice soup base for broccoli or cauliflower cheese soups. Ill often add additional varieties of cheese for different flavors.

I also remember 100 years ago, when i was in high school we made a killer mac and cheese using velveeta too, I don't remember the actual recipe though.

Also good to make a cheese sauce to drizzle on nachos too.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Head Chef

I'm in the opposite corner; I'd go without cheese rather than eat / use Velveeta. ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC! Velveeta brings back horrible memories.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Master Chef

Welcome to DC!

I'm not a fan of Velveeta.

I have always been interested in how often Velveeta appears in Amish cooking books and recipes. I have never understood how a group of people that shuns technology could embrace a product like Velveeta.

Below is a link to an Amish Velveeta knock off recipe!

The Amish Cook: Homemade Velveeta Cheese - Amish 365: Amish Recipes - Amish Cooking
Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Executive Chef

In all of the years of cooking professionally, and eating I have never eaten or even used Velveeta. Is it basically a firmer cheese whiz?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Velveeta isn't actually cheese. It's "Pasteurized Recipe Cheese Product". It doesn't contain cheese, but does have milk solids, etc. Because of that, it melts beautifully, unlike real cheese, which separates into fat & solids when too much heat is applied.

I've made my own melting cheese (made with real cheese) using the process in Modernist Cuisine. The method is basically melting real cheese in a bit of additional liquid and adding sodium citrate. You can firm it up in a block (like Velveeta) or in flat squares (like that other fake product - American slices). My homemade 'melty cheese' was a vast improvement in taste, and made a perfect mac & cheese, but for my purposes, too much work for a limited use. If I want cheese to melt, I skip the cheddar and use something that will melt nicely.

All that aside, I grew up on the stuff. Velveeta and American slices were pretty much all my mother ever bought. To me, a bowl of Campbell's cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich made with Velveeta was the ultimate comfort food.

A couple years ago when I had a bad case of the flu, I was remembering that to a friend. She went shopping and brought the white bread, margarine, Velveeta & soup and made my lunch. WOW! It sure knocked that memory out of my head forever! Worst tasting c**p I've ever eaten!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Sometimes we make Velveeta cheese dip during football tv season. Melt a block of velveeta, add a can of tomatoes/ diced chilies (RoTel) and if you want to get fancy, stir in some cooked crumbled sausage. For a party, put it in a fondue pot or informally, serve it direct in the cooking pot with a hot pad set under it and set it on the coffee table. Served with a bag of chips.

I did have a grilled cheese/ velveeta sandwich within memory. The tomato soup was too sweet and the velveeta glue stuck to my mouth and neither was what I remembered from child-hood. Sorry.

Tags
food