Hello From Atlanta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnagodfrey

Assistant Cook
My name is Donna Godfrey and I live in Atlanta, Ga.

My cooking journey is quite a fun one......I was raised in Lancaster County, Pa as a Mennonite My Grandma had Amish background. So I leaned some basic Pa. Dutch Cooking. I did most of the cooking by the age I was 12. We lived on a small farm.....

I married and moved to South Florida and worked with the Mennonite Church in a farm workers community. I cooked 3 meals a day for our 100+ nursery children that came to the daycare. I soon saw the majority Mexican kids did not like bland cooking and so I asked could I have the mothers teach me some Mexican cooking in turn they would be excused from paying......that was agreed upon and so I had the best Mexican friend cooks....I loved it. Than the Puerto Rican and Cuban mothers asked to teach me their specialities and finally a Seminole mother taught me some great dishes. While all this was happening I was learning to cook good Southern dishes....Greens and black-eye peas, okra and black skillet cornbread became special to us......as did seasoning with side meat and having homemade bisuits and sausage gravy and yes, chocolate gravy!

A move to Sarasota and a French neighbor broadened my cooking. Than a wonderful friend taught me Greek dishes and Swedish ones also. We went shrimping and fishing and that added many seafood dishes.

Another move after a divorce took the kids and I Salem, Oregon and salmon became a favorite thing to play with as did the wonderful berries and fruits.

I remarried and moved to his home state of Ga. Again I learned another bunch of southern recipes from my MIL. She was a proper Southern lady that loved teas and cheese straws and all things Victorian. I loved this too. Than my husbands Uncle Joe moved in with us....he was a Southern Chef all his life and he was a great teacher!

A move to Atlanta put us in a apartment community and neighbors over the years have taught me Italian, Persian, Chinese and Russian cooking. With each lady I leaned so much. Lately Brazilian families have moved in and I love these dishes too.....

So I hope to learn a loy and share a lot.
Happy New Year!

MY goodness! You certainly have moved all accross the country, and certainly seem to have quite a breadth of cooking knowledge. Well be happy to pick your brain and hear what you have to share.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! :)

Welcome Donna! You've lollygagged around here long enough. :LOL: Start posting those recipes.

Glad you found DC!

Hi and welcome Donna. I am so glad that you found us. I know you will like it here. Great recipes and wonderful members to help with your questions. :)

Donna, welcome to DC, a site where you will find wonderful and interesting recipes of various cuisines provided by nice, friendly and helpful members. Hopefully, you can contribute some too as well as join in the lively discussions.

Back
Top Bottom