"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #11
Cook

Bulgarian Recipes

I'd be happy to share any recipes I can find if you guys want to give me a category like sweets, side dishes, sauces, etc. The cakes and cookies I've had here are all store bought although they are homemade quality. I must say though that the cakes here are so fancy that I wouldn't attempt making them with a ten foot oven lol. They are those really thin layers with different creams inbetween and different sauces and such on top. I would say that you could probably duplicate just about anything here with the exception of a few of the important spices. Not sure you can find them there but then again, it's the usa so anything is possible. I do know that my husband's uncle and some other people he knows that live in the usa are not happy with the so-called "Bulgarian" food imports they have seen there. They don't think the tastes are the same at all-especially the White Cheese. Oh, and we don't have oreo's here lol. I can't believe I found them in China-both name brand and Chinese brand but can't get them here. I think it's cause we don't get Nabisco products here. We have Kraft, Coca Cola, Frito-Lay and Nestle but no Nabisco-at least not that I've seen:(((((( And thanks again for all the offer of future help:)

Old 03-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen

Arcana, welcome!

What foods do you miss the most? Also, where in the US are you from?
I'm thinking you need someone to send you a case of Taco Bell sauce.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Cook

Faves

Hahaha Jkath, I actually hate Taco Bell taco sauce but thanx for the thought. I could definitely use a case of many other things lol. Funny thing about mentioning Taco Bell is that I use a so-called copy cat recipe for the meat spice mix. It's not exact, although that may be cause I can't find regular chili powder here so that is one thing I would like to find is a good taco mix for the meat. I found a great taco sauce here imported from mexico. Some of the other things I miss most can't be duplicated but I'm hoping to find some replacements that are similar. I miss many fast foods and frozen foods such as Jack In The Box super tacos, corn tortillas in general since I can't get them here, ARBY'S, Reese's Pnut Butter Cups, Sloppy Joe mix (I make my own but it isn't anything like the mixes in the USA), Frozen Jeno's Pizza Rolls, onion rings, good ice cream, peanut butter, english muffins, regular old boring hot dog buns (we have hamburger buns but they are a bit different and a pain to use with hot dogs lol) simple white cake and frosting and a million other things. Some of these things I can live without and just enjoy when I someday go back and visit home but some of these things I really need to learn how to make myself or I'm going to go crazier lol.
I'm from SoCal and Las Vegas :)
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Ciao from Rome Arcana, so I am a little closer to you than most of others
As you may have found out already, it will be a lot of fun hanging here... though it can be too addictive for your own good at times
Hope to see you around often, glad you are here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana
I'm from SoCal and Las Vegas :)
then you and Jkath will have tons to talk about
Old 03-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #15
Hospitality Queen

I'm guessing Bulgaria doesn't have Masa Harina, right? I'd die without mexican food! Urmaniac's right - I've been in So Cal forever, and we're in Vegas a few times each year.

The good thing is that if you're searching for a particular recipe, you're pretty much guaranteed that if it exists, one of us will find it for you.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

welcome, Arcana!!
I'm sure you will find your way.. ;o)
If you are looking for beef, try to find some farmer who has beef.. I'm sure they can sell you some parts or even a half ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi Arcana..

I'm new here too. I spent about 5 weeks in Bulgaria in 2003, and really loved it, although I imagine I'd start to miss US junk food if I moved there permanently. I found a decent Bulgarian cookbook on Amazon, and I made kebabche at home one time (my husband loved them!). I also make a facsimile of shopska salad sometimes, using feta cheese instead of the Bulgarian white cheese (sorry you don't like it, I love it, as well as kashkaval). I was in Plovdiv in July, and since cucumbers and tomatoes were in season (and truly wonderful, by the way), they were served every day for breakfast. I did get a little tired of eating salad for breakfast every day, so I ended up keeping some muesli and milk in my hotel room fridge.

I look forward to hearing more tales of Bulgarian food. I hope to go back someday.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:47 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Welcome Aracana! I've enjoyed reading your posts! I think you will like it here - I know you are well liked already. Keep posting!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #19
Cook

Sorry for the late replies, I was off in another city having a baby and didn't have internet.

urmaniac13, thank you for the welcome:) Are you also Italian? My grandma was 100% Sicilian so I grew up with Italian food and it is my ultimate favorite. Italian food though is easy to make here since they have all the ingredients. It's the Mexican food and the junk food I'm having a hard time doing without lol.

Cara, since ground beef is my favorite, that's not a problem here since most stores have it and if I get it at a meat store, it's really extra good. Cream on the other hand is another story. They don't use cream here except the kind made of vegetable fat which is ok but definitely not the same. They have one brand of real cream from Russia I believe but it's very expensive so not in my budget very often.

Jkath, they have corn flour and corn meal here but I'm not sure that's the same as Masa Harina. I really don't know what masa harina is since I never had to use it in the USA.

Aradiva, glad you liked here and do come back:) I do like several things here but at the same time, I sure miss my junk food.

MicheleMarie, thanks for the compliments and since I always have alot to say, the posts will keep coming lol.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #20
Cook

Sorry for the late reply. I was off in another city having a baby:)

urmaniac13, thanks for the welcome. Are you also Italian? I grew up with a Sicilian Italian grandmother so Italian food is in my blood and is my favorite:) Good thing the ingredients for that are easy to find here;)

Cara, beef is easy to find in all the stores here, just not all the cuts I'm used to but it's not really a big deal since ground beef is my fave and I can get that easily.

Aradiva
Glad you liked it here, do come back:)
Jkath
I'm not really sure what masa harina is since I never had to use it in the USA. I know there is both corn meal and corn flour here but I'm not sure the texture is right for corn tortillas since mine came out so awful.

MicheleMarie, thanks for the compliments. I do my best to keep posting:)