"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Cook

Hello From Bulgaria

Hi,
I just joined this forum today and I'm hoping that all the wonderful cooks on this site will help me recreate some of the foods I miss. I'm from the USA and will be living in Bulgaria probably forever and there are just so many things I miss!!!! I really don't like cooking but I'm willing to change that attitude in order to please my tummy:) I'm a picky eater and a total junk food junkie. I'm not fond of gourmet or healthy cooking so it might be a big challenge to help me out lol. Anyway, nice to be here and I really will appreciate any help anyone can give me:)

Old 03-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

A challenge to help you with junk food? Are you kidding? This forum has junk food lovers, me included!! LOL

Welcome to DC, Arcana!! You will enjoy being here!

Old 03-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

You will certainly find some of whatever food you are looking for here. My sister lived in Germany for 8 years and she got very homesick for her native food and had trouble locating some of them, if they were available at all. We have all sorts here - healthy and some not quite so much, but they are all good. If it isn't here, someone will certainly help you find it. Hope you enjoy your time spent here. Welcome!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site Arcana. I guess you haven't seen the recipes for deep fried mars bars on this site if you think junk food will be a challenge for us

Are there any foods you have tried in Bulgaria that you particularly like? I would be curious to learn what types of things you have there.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome arcana,
(cool username, plural for arcanum. a secret or mysterious bit of knowledge, or a secret elixir).

it's a good thing you don't like health food. bulgaria is famous for tasty but relatively unhealthy things, or so my neighbors say. i hear local cheeses are excellent too.

we'll try to help you make whatever you miss, if you'll tell us of things bulgarian.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Cook

Thanks for the welcome everyone:) I'd be happy to fill you all in on Bulgarian foods. When I say "challenge", I mean that I'm rather picky and want recipes that are either exact or very close in taste to what I'm looking for and also that there are ingredients that either I can't get or haven't found yet so that might be limiting.
As far as Bulgarian foods. They are very big on pork here, especially ground pork and ground pork/beef mixtures that they use in many recipes. They also have pork patties called Kebabche that sort of have a sausage flavor but are more finely ground yet, very solid. They also love chicken but are not big on beef. You go to the beef section and there is very little to choose from and cut differently than in the USA. They love "salads" and soups. Salads can be cold and have veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, etc or be mayo based with small pieces of veg and such. Salami is also a big deal here. They have a million kinds although I haven't found anything close to the Genoa that I used to get in America. Pizza can be found absolutely everywhere here, even frozen but it is almost nothing like what I'm used to, it's been Bulgarianised lol...just like we've done to most foods back home lol. There are basically two kinds of Bulgarian cheese made from various animal milks. The most popular is White Cheese (Serene) which is like feta and most popular from cow milk in varying intensities of sourness/saltiness lol. Yellow cheese (kashkaval) is supposed to be their version of cheddar but it also comes in varying degrees of sourness/saltiness and is nothing like cheddar. I can handle some brands of kashkaval but I'm not fond of Serene at all. We also get some import cheeses including cheddar and mozzarella but they are expensive. I buy them anyway lol. If anyone would like some exact recipes, let me know and I will do my best to get them. Oh and just for the record, I think Bulgaria has the best bread I've ever had and some of the best cookies and cakes ever!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hello! Welcome to our little corner of the world.
We'll help you out anytime. Just ask!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Arcana! I enjoyed reading your posts about your food challenges in Bulgaria. I am certain you will get lots of help from the great folks here. I have yet to see a question go unanswered!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Perhaps you could post some recipes of the breads, cookies and cakes that we could make or adapt with ingredients available here. I don't know what would be different about what is available here than there, but you could tell us. Thanks. I don't know that I've ever had any food that was Bulgarian.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
welcome to dc ! you must try deep fried oreos !!!
it's posted on here somewhere.