"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello from Canada!

Hello there, I am Mike, from Canada.
I Recently signed up on this forum because I like to talk about cooking! (And love to cook obviously).

I'm 31 years old, and looking back I feel like I wasted a lot of time, money and empty nutrition, throughout my 20s on fast food and restaurant food and processed/prepackaged food and have recently challenged myself to fill my shopping basket with more raw ingredients and less prepared items and combine that with modern tools and information (i.e. the internet), and some old world techniques that I've picked up along the way in order to make a better way of life for myself; where less of my food budget is going towards fast food marketing executives and more of it towards local producers and where I know exactly what I am putting into my body.

I'm not strictly into organics or anything like that, but definitely not against buying organic ingredients when they are on sale.

I've actually worked one place or another in the logistical end of the food industry for the majority of my adult life, so I pretty much see all the spoilage, waste, and unnecessary packaging that is destined for landfills on a daily basis.

I love talking about food and cooking in general, but would especially love to connect with like-minded people (or unlike minded) and compare notes. I write this with 3 stock pots going on my stove right now! (Love making soups and stews, and would love to refine my techniques).

My best kitchen strength I feel is that I am good at working with meat, probably because I'm a nerd and there's a lot of science involved in meat preparation.

My kitchen kryptonite would probably be baking. While I can make simple quick breads and layer cake, I seem to lack the patience and finesse to make anything that is a real feast for the eyes, life a nice fluffy meringue or a nice airy mousse.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Welcome to the forum! I think you'll find a wide variety of people here and everyone has their own things to teach and learn. We're a fun group and I know there are people here who also love science. I hope you like it here. Oh, and the best way to connect is to share a few recipes and join a few discussions. We also have a member spotlight section where people can ask members questions about themselves. Asking questions and being asked questions is a good way to get to know people around here. :)

Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hi, Unillenium! Welcome to DC.

I like making stock/broth too. Besides soups and stews, I use it to make rice, beans, etc., and since I don't add salt until use, I use some of it unsalted when it calls for water to make gravies from mixes. It adds pizzaz to ordinary things.

I'd love to see some of your recipes, please!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. You are going to love it here. Silly, delightful, funny folks here.

The secret to make fussy deserts is to make sure you have the time and no one is going to interrupt you. Then practice, practice and even more on those you love. They are the ones who will be brutally honest with you whether you want to hear it or not. Just make sure you ask them what's wrong. So you won't repeat the same mistake.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome to DC

Josie
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome to DC. Waving at you from near Montreal.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC from Ottawa! Grew up not far from Winterpeg and have many fond memories of visits there, especially the annual Folk Festival.

I too like to source as much of my ingredients locally. Besides having a large garden and a flock of laying hens, I too like to play in the kitchen. I was going to roast bones for stock last night, that is until the element on my oven caught on fire. Oh well, a trip to the hardware store will fix that.

Tags
canada